Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    I think this is a pretty dumb lineup to be honest, but Steele says he did it by Xavier way points, so is what it is for tonight.
    Agreed, but at least it is different....I'd have done...

Kyky
    Paul
    Naji
    Free
    Jones

But whatever

I think this is a pretty dumb lineup to be honest, but Steele says he did it by Xavier way points, so is what it is for tonight.
    Good call

Worked out pretty good, didn’t it?

Left a 6’3” guy guarding Carter and Carter took him to the woodshed early in the game. Not sure why they went away from him posting that guy up, especially when the GT 7’0 Center went to the bench. Carter had double digit rebounds too.

Like having Freemantle playing high post on offense, he can do a lot from there in terms of setting picks, passing, and has options when it comes to scoring. Draws a big on the other team away from the rim too. That should open up driving lanes and allow Jones and Carter to dominate the rebounding.

Defensively, it does open them up to having Carter or Freemantle guarding a smaller and quicker player. That will be a liability against some teams. Perhaps against those teams they will use more zone defense to combat that? Have to wait and see. It is a lineup that has a lot of length, and with that length should be a tough team to shoot over if they do go zone. Of course, rebounding out of a zone seems to always be a problem for the defensive team, so that is a concern.

Every lineup is going to have its strengths and weaknesses. Adjustments made during the games is key, but a lineup like what they used may well cause other teams to adjust to X. For far to long it seems that it has always been X adjusting to others, perhaps with this lineup the shoe will be on the others foot.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 01-23-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Worked out pretty good, didn’t it?

Left a 6’3” guy guarding Carter and Carter took him to the woodshed early in the game. Not sure why they went away from him posting that guy up, especially when the GT 7’0 Center went to the bench. Carter had double digit rebounds too.

Like having Freemantle playing high post on offense, he can do a lot from there in terms of setting picks, passing, and has options when it comes to scoring. Draws a big on the other team away from the rim too. That should open up driving lanes and allow Jones and Carter to dominate the rebounding.

Defensively, it does open them up to having Carter or Freemantle guarding a smaller and quicker player. That will be a liability against some teams. Perhaps against those teams they will use more zone defense to combat that? Have to wait and see. It is a lineup that has a lot of length, and with that length should be a tough team to shoot over if they do go zone. Of course, rebounding out of a zone seems to always be a problem for the defensive team, so that is a concern.

Every lineup is going to have its strengths and weaknesses. Adjustments made during the games is key, but a lineup like what they used may well cause other teams to adjust to X. For far to long it seems that it has always been X adjusting to others, perhaps with this lineup the show will be on the others foot.
    It did work out well. One of the posters on this board (I cannot recall who) suggested Freemantle and Jones in the lineup, at the same time, weeks ago. At the time, I was concerned it would expose us to foul trouble with our Bigs and no other backup on the bench. But, it worked out.

The one thing you did not mention and I don't know if you were at the game but, there was a discernable energy on the floor last night that was new to this team. The crowd seemed to pick it up also. I don't know if it reflects a "back to the wall" attitude, something the team has picked up from Steele or just the change in personnel but it was a different vibe.

It feels like a long shot that X makes the Big Dance this year. I just don't know if we have the right personnel. Maybe (I hope) I'm too pessimistic. But, watching them play last night was actually enjoyable. There has been a noticeable lack of enthusiasm for much of the season and last night I felt something different and more positive.

Wasn’t at the game, but the energy was noticeable on TV too. Decoursey has them on his first 4 out right now, but there are still a lot of games left and they can certainly play their way into the dance before the season ends.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Good call
    Lol, that's why Steele makes millions and I post here. I am very much in favor of more Carter utilization, so I'm willing to wait and see how this works out.

Supporting Member
    I'm very interested to see about q....was the starting lineup change just because q "tweaked" something and that's what they did on the fly, or will this starting lineup be the one moving forward? Guess we will see on sunday.

We'll see Q when KYky is completely gassed.
    2023 Sweet 16

Based on recent games I can see Goodin and Moore competing for minutes. Goodin is a better ballhandler, Moore is better on defense and neither has been effective as a scorer. KyKy has to get the bulk of the minutes because he keeps the defense honest from the perimeter. He also only had one turnover in 28 minutes last night and will get more comfortable with playing time. Also, I wonder if we will get a feel for what Ramsey can contribute, if anything, before the season ends and his year is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    We'll see Q when KYky is completely gassed.
    As should be the case with a guy who cant shoot.......

I've said it many, many times. If Q was a great defender and a guy who created primarily and set the tone for the team, he would still be very valuable. When he chucks up 3's and isn't active defensively, he brings little value.