Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    I liked him when I saw him play last year. And, like others, I thought he could be the final piece of the puzzle for X this year (at the time, I assumed we had a bunch of frosh who also would contribute). I think Carter is a smart player---I don't recall him forcing up a bunch of dumb shots and he makes his free throws (which, on this team, stands out). But, he's not been able to create his own shot and unfortunately this Xavier offense hasn't been successful at creating shots for players that cannot do so for themselves.
    He has a lot of open shots. He is just reluctant to take them for some reason. I don't understand it because he was a scorer before he got here.

Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    He has a lot of open shots. He is just reluctant to take them for some reason. I don't understand it because he was a scorer before he got here.
    Carter's shot just wasn't dropping early in the season, and I'm guessing he just hasn't gotten the confidence back in the shot. Honestly, to be a factor in the Big East and in the tournament this year, we have a confident Carter doing his thing.

He doesn't need to dominate games, but he does need to stop passing up open jumpers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    Carter's shot just wasn't dropping early in the season, and I'm guessing he just hasn't gotten the confidence back in the shot. Honestly, to be a factor in the Big East and in the tournament this year, we have a confident Carter doing his thing.

He doesn't need to dominate games, but he does need to stop passing up open jumpers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Rick made a great point on the last Dana & Victory podcast - that Carter is overextending himself and/or fading on a lot of attempts at the rim as opposed to trying to play through contact in the hopes of at least getting to the line (where he is excellent). Apparently this was a big part of his game at OU. More FT attempts from Carter would go a long way.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    He has a lot of open shots.
    There's a reason for that. Until he starts shooting and making them, it's going to continue.

When the defense's focus is on Paul, Ty, and Naji, Q and Carter are mostly always wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    There's a reason for that. Until he starts shooting and making them, it's going to continue.

When the defense's focus is on Paul, Ty, and Naji, Q and Carter are mostly always wide open.
    Honestly if through the offense we get these guys good open shots, I hope they take them. Otherwise things are going to continue to be clogged up for the other players.

If Carter continues to be an observer on the offensive end, we need to explore other rotations or options.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Steele needs to get Q and Naji to stick to just taking 3s when they have a good look, are feeling it, and are shooting from a spot on the floor that is not far behind the arc so that their percentage will improve
    Ask Naji when he is not feeling it?
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    Ask Naji when he is not feeling it?
    Naji can’t hear you. He’s too busy feelin’ it.

Well I think that the SJ games shows that the STARTING lineup doesn’t really matter. The lineup during the LAST 30 minutes of the game is what’s really important.

Sophomore
    agreed and I think both Carter and Moore need to realize that they have to take the shots, make the moves, foul or be fouled and let the coach decide what to do. James shots were not that great, but he made quick decisions and that is the only way to play at this level. We how have more proven depth. Amazing stat is that we only had ONE steal!! I saw a number of potential steals by Naj, Q that ended up in the hands of St johns. Carter who I like had no business playing 35 minutes, he needs 20 hard minutes and he willl be fine.
    Last edited by whopper; 01-05-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    agreed and I think both Carter and Moore need to realize that they have to take the shots, make the moves, foul or be fouled and let the coach decide what to do. James shots were not that great, but he made quick decisions and that is the only way to play at this level. We how have more proven depth. Amazing stat is that we only had ONE steal!! I saw a number of potential steals by Naj, Q that ended up in the hands of St johns. Carter who I like had no business playing 35 minutes, he needs 20 hard minutes and he willl be fine.
    I noticed that when he gave up rebounds to SJ Travis pulled him and put James in. Carter had 3 DR in 15 minutes, James had 7 in 25. Tracks may have been sending him a message.