Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    Let's do this by semesters rather than years. You are allowed to play 8 semesters. He has played 1 leaving 7 left. Since the season is played over 2 semesters, if he enrolls this spring and sits out the next 2 semesters(one school year), that would give him the chance to play 7 semesters instead of 6 if he enrolled in the fall. This is the understanding that I'm under.
    You can't play 7 though because if you play one that really counts as 2. He doesnt get this year back, he played for X and that used an entire year even though he only played a semester.

So he has 3 years remaining no matter when he enrolls at new school. If he enrolls quickly and plays spring next semester that is only 1 semester but again that takes a whole year. So he would have only played 2 semesters but used 4 up. So by enrolling early he plays quicker but only gets to play a half year, costing him a whole year.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    Side-note: am I the only Xavier fan that never uses the term "Muskie"? I know it is quite common amongst the fan base, but I hate it and never use it, am I the only one?
    Our corporate name here at Dana Gardens is Muskies Inc.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Supporting Member
    Side-note: am I the only Xavier fan that never uses the term "Muskie"? I know it is quite common amongst the fan base, but I hate it and never use it, am I the only one?
    You may refer to me as “Musketeer in dayton”, then.

I grew up a X fan (my Dad also went there), and he always called them “the Muskies”. It stuck with me even after I later learned a Muskie is also a fish!
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    You can't play 7 though because if you play one that really counts as 2. He doesnt get this year back, he played for X and that used an entire year even though he only played a semester.

So he has 3 years remaining no matter when he enrolls at new school. If he enrolls quickly and plays spring next semester that is only 1 semester but again that takes a whole year. So he would have only played 2 semesters but used 4 up. So by enrolling early he plays quicker but only gets to play a half year, costing him a whole year.
    Gotcha
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    You may refer to me as “Musketeer in dayton”, then.
    Thanks!

You certainly aren't alone, I know I'm in the minority not liking it, but I am beginning to think I'm the only one in my camp. Your stance of using "Muskies" is clearly in the majority.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post

Things could have changed since I last had to be fluent about such things, but I feel like if he enrolls at "XYZ" School for the first day of the Spring Semester, he will be eligible as soon as soon as "XYZ" School's fall 2020 semester ends (thus ending his "Year in Academic Residence"). In that case, if that is still the case, he would be able to play mid-December (assuming no waivers are granted) at "XYZ" School.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    Our corporate name here at Dana Gardens is Muskies Inc.
    I'm clearly the outlier on this issue. Oh well, certainly not the first time. Ha!!

If he enrolls by spring semester, I believe he will be eligible to play once the first semester is completed next season. I don't believe he will have to wait for the second semester to start, which can mean 3 or 4 games difference.

You have to complete 4 years of eligibility in 5 seasons. I think DWest is correct that Bishop has used up one of his years by playing earlier in the season.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Things could have changed since I last had to be fluent about such things, but I feel like if he enrolls at "XYZ" School for the first day of the Spring Semester, he will be eligible as soon as soon as "XYZ" School's fall 2020 semester ends (thus ending his "Year in Academic Residence"). In that case, if that is still the case, he would be able to play mid-December (assuming no waivers are granted) at "XYZ" School.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    If he enrolls by spring semester, I believe he will be eligible to play once the first semester is completed next season. I don't believe he will have to wait for the second semester to start, which can mean 3 or 4 games difference.

You have to complete 4 years of eligibility in 5 seasons. I think DWest is correct that Bishop has used up one of his years by playing earlier in the season.
    Good point. So he would still really benefit by enrolling somewhere quickly because it isnt like he'd miss out on truly half a year. Only about a month and a half.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Thanks!

You certainly aren't alone, I know I'm in the minority not liking it, but I am beginning to think I'm the only one in my camp. Your stance of using "Muskies" is clearly in the majority.
    I'm not sure how old this link is, but at least at one point the Athletic Department was not a fan of "Muskies":

https://goxavier.com/sports/2015/7/1...715153235.aspx
    The official nickname of XU athletics teams is the Xavier Musketeers. To use as an adjective, the nickname becomes singular: "Musketeer Basketball," not "Musketeers Basketball." The nickname "Muskies" is not preferred and is not officially recognized by the Department.