Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Mario is currently tweeting that the data is wrong.
    Yeah I saw that. Wonder what the deal is?
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah I saw that. Wonder what the deal is?
    The rankings are right, but it is sorted wrong on the team sheets. Again.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    This can’t be accurate. If it is the formula needs fixing.
    It looks about right to me.

Having said that, it's still early. If IUPUI jumps out to a 5-2 lead on Michigan with 18:30 left until halftime, the scoreboard isn't wrong. It would be silly to look at that and start tweeting and posting and shouting about how some major upset is about about to go down, but in that moment IUPUI is ahead. The NET is still kind of like that. It's right, but it's right based on a very limited amount of data compared to what it is going to be at the end. So, I wouldn't rely too much on it right now, nor would I conclude that the formulas are off. It's just early.

Another for instance...

Wake Forest has been our only true road game so far. We are 0-1 on the road. That's the same as being 0-20 on the road. Had we won that game, our NET would probably be in the 20s or 30s, because on the flip side it would be the same as being 20-0 on the road.

Duquesne is celebrating that they're ranked 20th and UK is a lowly 58.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    UK is a lowly 58.
    Outside of Michigan State, their non-conference schedule is AWFUL...although it does get better by a lot between now and conference play.

That Evansville game, deservedly so, really stings their resume'.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Another for instance...

Wake Forest has been our only true road game so far. We are 0-1 on the road. That's the same as being 0-20 on the road. Had we won that game, our NET would probably be in the 20s or 30s, because on the flip side it would be the same as being 20-0 on the road.
    So to me, that means the formula is faulty that it is based on win %. Doesn’t reward good scheduling.

Well then it accurate again bc wake sucks. But I know what you’re saying.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

We're sneaking up on people in 2020!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    So to me, that means the formula is faulty that it is based on win %. Doesn’t reward good scheduling.
    I think the teams we’ve played are a large part of why we’re ranked where we are. We have not won a road game, we haven't won a home game against anyone with a road record, and the two neutral wins came against Towson who has an overall losing record, and UConn who is decent at best. When I look at that, and think of the concept of an ELO based ranking system (which the NET isn't totally ELO, but it is partly that) I think there are about 70ish teams that have done more against their schedule than we have. So, in our case, based strictly on our merit, I don't think it's that far off.

Beating Wake Forest would have made a huge difference. It would have been a road win against a team with a winning record. Right now we don't have that.
    Last edited by xubrew; 12-16-2019 at 02:25 PM.