Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Clifton Community College can’t attract a new AD

The Latest-
    Turned down by Appalachian State’s AD Doug Gillin who is staying there.
    What a massive mess that place is, and it has to impact whether Fickel stays
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Did he actually turn down UC, or did he "withdraw" after learning that he's not the top choice?

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Did he actually turn down UC, or did he "withdraw" after learning that he's not the top choice?
    Fair point, if that is the case.

But the overall reality remains a little brutal for Clifton: it's a stepping stone job for two reasons:

1. The AAC; and

2. The building financial stress that UC is under. Now you have students filing reports on blogs about UC shifting its emphasis to "profits" over education (i.e. money moved to athletics and money for capital projects that don't directly enhance the classroom experience). Cut teaching salaries, etc.

I suppose if you're a strong sports executive on your way up, and you're next step is from a smaller school to an AAC-like institution, as you otherwise navigate your way to a good P5 job - again, if you're worthy - then you would look at the UC job. But you're stay in Cincinnati easily won't last a decade.
    X A V I E R

Their Athletic Department is bleeding money. Every student pays something like 4K a year in additional tuition to help support athletics. Honestly that's a damn crime IMHO. If you can't break even, why the hell are you giving ANY scholarship money to the programs that aren't generating enough to cover costs? Makes not a damn bit of sense to me. College athletics is becoming the HAVE's and the HAVE NOT's.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Their Athletic Department is bleeding money. Every student pays something like 4K a year in additional tuition to help support athletics.
    When I read your post, my first thought was, "No way each student is paying close to $4000 over 4 years to support athletics." And I was correct (sort of). It's actually $4900. Nothing like taking out student loans to support the track team.

https://www.newsrecord.org/news/soar...0bda06336.html

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    When I read your post, my first thought was, "No way each student is paying close to $4000 over 4 years to support athletics." And I was correct (sort of). It's actually $4900. Nothing like taking out student loans to support the track team.

https://www.newsrecord.org/news/soar...0bda06336.html
    In todays day and age when student debt is a massive issue, I find this incredibly irresponsible. You're "supposed" to be an institution of higher learning. Now, on the flip side UC is very affordable when compared to other university's. I think annual tuition is somewhere around 12K.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    In todays day and age when student debt is a massive issue, I find this incredibly irresponsible. You're "supposed" to be an institution of higher learning. Now, on the flip side UC is very affordable when compared to other university's. I think annual tuition is somewhere around 12K.
    Well, what is the ole adage: "you get what you pay for". Only in this case, it's a tad worse.
    X A V I E R

I totally realize that this is a Xavier board and that many of the posters here, being completely diehard Xavier only fans, are not going to say anything nice about any other school, especially one in the same area. However, while I am a very proud Xavier grad, who wore a Xavier uniform, I am also someone that grew up in Cincinnati and have lived in the tristate area almost all of my 63 years. I grew up following UC while in grade school and high school more than I did Xavier. After graduation from X I took classes at UC and actually lived within a block of the main entrance. My best friends are almost all UC grads and fans. I’ve been a season ticket holder for UC FOOTBALL for many years. My kids grew up going to UC football games in the fall and still do. IF Xavier had a football team while I was there, and afterwards, I would have become a Xavier football fan and would be attending Xavier games instead of UC games, but they didn’t and they don’t.

I’m not sure that those who didn’t grow up in Cincinnati, or don’t live here, can really understand that it is literally the only game in town. Don’t give me OSU or one of the other out of town schools either. Cincinnati is NOT OSU territory. Most people that grew up here don’t even think of themselves as Ohioans. We are Cincinnatiains. If someone LIVING here wants to actually ATTEND college football games, they have only a few choices....attend a Mt. ST Joe or Thomas Moore D-3/NAIA game, travel to Lexington, Columbus, Bloomington, or elsewhere and pay 2-3-4 times what it costs to attend a UC game, or drive down to Nippert, where every seat is a good seat, and watch UC. Is it the top tier college football in the country? No. But it’s not really far off, and as others have said, there are only really 10-15 real national championship level programs in the country. The COST differential is HUGE.

Examples
    ...tailgate spot for the entire SEASON at UC...$350.00. Tailgate spot for ONE GAME at OSU......$500.00.
    ...my SEASON tickets at UC are 200.00 for a seat to 6 games in the end zone. I could spend that for ONE GAME at the other places.

UC won 11 games last year and will probably match that total this year. They went to a bowl game last year and are going this year too. They aren’t top tear games but so what? They are still fun. I have gone to the Orange Bowl and the Sugar Bowl to watch UC. I expect that trips to those bowls will only happen occasionally for UC, but maybe because of that they are appreciated more when they do happen.

All in all, UC FOOTBALL is fun, I have a long history, reaching back to my childhood, as a fan, and it’s family affordable. I don’t have to love the school or their basketball team to be a football fan. But I don’t see any reason to hate them either. It’s actually much easier for me to hate OSU and their obnoxious and overbearing fans....Ohhowihateohiostate.

Some people rooted for the Soviets to win the Cold War too.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I totally realize that this is a Xavier board and that many of the posters here, being completely diehard Xavier only fans, are not going to say anything nice about any other school, especially one in the same area. However, while I am a very proud Xavier grad, who wore a Xavier uniform, I am also someone that grew up in Cincinnati and have lived in the tristate area almost all of my 63 years. I grew up following UC while in grade school and high school more than I did Xavier. After graduation from X I took classes at UC and actually lived within a block of the main entrance. My best friends are almost all UC grads and fans. I’ve been a season ticket holder for UC FOOTBALL for many years. My kids grew up going to UC football games in the fall and still do. IF Xavier had a football team while I was there, and afterwards, I would have become a Xavier football fan and would be attending Xavier games instead of UC games, but they didn’t and they don’t.

I’m not sure that those who didn’t grow up in Cincinnati, or don’t live here, can really understand that it is literally the only game in town. Don’t give me OSU or one of the other out of town schools either. Cincinnati is NOT OSU territory. Most people that grew up here don’t even think of themselves as Ohioans. We are Cincinnatiains. If someone LIVING here wants to actually ATTEND college football games, they have only a few choices....attend a Mt. ST Joe or Thomas Moore D-3/NAIA game, travel to Lexington, Columbus, Bloomington, or elsewhere and pay 2-3-4 times what it costs to attend a UC game, or drive down to Nippert, where every seat is a good seat, and watch UC. Is it the top tier college football in the country? No. But it’s not really far off, and as others have said, there are only really 10-15 real national championship level programs in the country. The COST differential is HUGE.

Examples
    ...tailgate spot for the entire SEASON at UC...$350.00. Tailgate spot for ONE GAME at OSU......$500.00.
    ...my SEASON tickets at UC are 200.00 for a seat to 6 games in the end zone. I could spend that for ONE GAME at the other places.

UC won 11 games last year and will probably match that total this year. They went to a bowl game last year and are going this year too. They aren’t top tear games but so what? They are still fun. I have gone to the Orange Bowl and the Sugar Bowl to watch UC. I expect that trips to those bowls will only happen occasionally for UC, but maybe because of that they are appreciated more when they do happen.

All in all, UC FOOTBALL is fun, I have a long history, reaching back to my childhood, as a fan, and it’s family affordable. I don’t have to love the school or their basketball team to be a football fan. But I don’t see any reason to hate them either. It’s actually much easier for me to hate OSU and their obnoxious and overbearing fans....Ohhowihateohiostate.
    Curious question....if you grew up a uc fan in a multitude of ways, why did you go to xavier? That seems so odd to me...I have buddies who are louisville fans and went to kentucky and missorui fans who went to kansas. I find that really freaking nuts to be a fan and go to the school's rival when there are a ton of choices. I could understand if it was kentucky or kansas were tremendous schools and offered something others didnt but that's just frankly not the case.