Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah but the cost of scholarships is a little misleading. It isnt really an expense. And it isnt like they arent letting in more "regular" paying students because they have 15 basketball players on scholarship.
    It is actually exactly an expense, and in nearly every case, it is the largest digit on the Expense half of the P&L. Xavier Athletics, like every other department, cuts a check to the school, so to speak, for the tuition for their scholarship athletes. It is, by definition, exactly an expense. Last time I saw a Xavier Athletics' budget it was a two point something million dollar expense that the AD has to account for.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    It is actually exactly an expense, and in nearly every case, it is the largest digit on the Expense half of the P&L. Xavier Athletics, like every other department, cuts a check to the school, so to speak, for the tuition for their scholarship athletes. It is, by definition, exactly an expense. Last time I saw a Xavier Athletics' budget it was a two point something million dollar expense that the AD has to account for.
    It is the school paying itself. It is ridiculous. It is like a husband and wife who share all their finances and the husband gives the wife a check for the water bill.

Except that is probably a bad analogy because they money is actually going to someone besides the husband or wife. I can't even think of a good real world one. Maybe like transferring money from your checking to your savings?
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 12-16-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

It depends on the school as to what extent it's a REAL expense. I mean, any school that adds a couple hundred additional non-paying students is adding real expense. You're either kicking out paying students or you're having to hire additional staff (profs, admin, etc) to handle the extra students. But for some schools, there's actually enough demand that every single spot could be filled with a paying student. For those schools, the scholarship dollars are a very real expense. Wright State is not one of those schools.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    It is the school paying itself. It is ridiculous. It is like a husband and wife who share all their finances and the husband gives the wife a check for the water bill.

Except that is probably a bad analogy because they money is actually going to someone besides the husband or wife. I can't even think of a good real world one. Maybe like transferring money from your checking to your savings?
    Transferring money from checking to savings is a great analogy!

Fact. Scholarships are reported as both an expense and as generated revenue. The net result is zero. Every single time.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Here is an article discussing this very thing:

https://deadspin.com/how-athletic-de...ost-1570827027

Here is a quote from the article to Go's point above:

"What they cost depends a lot on the school. At schools with capped enrollment—where the dorm rooms are full, where profit margins on food and books are low, where little or no institutional financial aid is given to non-athletes—the list cost might well be close to correct. At schools with a desire to grow enrollment—where there's still dorm space and where profit margins on food and books are healthy—the actual cost might be pennies (or at least dimes) on the dollar of listed cost."
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

"As Brian Goff and Dennis Wilson very perceptively have written, athletic departments are trying to walk a rhetorical tightrope. They want to hide their profits to make it easier to keep them away from other would-be claimants. They also want to avoid looking so poor that other stakeholders within academia use sports' apparent poverty to strip them of power. Rhetoric that turns a price into a cost, and a transfer of profit into a loss of money, helps play a role in confusing things enough that the moment in the magic trick where the profit is moved from one pocket to the other gets obscured."

Here's another article also from 2014, this one from ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...ecord-revenues

"Salaries and scholarships make up two of the largest expense categories for most programs, but tuition is another cost that sports economists dispute, because they say the costs are inflated and it's more of a transfer among university departments than an actual expense.

"These tuition expenses are soft dollars," Goff said. "For that extra basketball player, it doesn't cost an extra $30,000 a year to keep that guy on campus. We could debate for a long time what exactly is the cost, but it's a lot less than the full actual tuition rate.""

Quote Originally Posted by american x View Post
    some people rooted for the soviets to win the cold war too.
    ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............buuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrr nnnnnnnn!!!!!! :-)
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

The good new is, they are going to change jock straps. The bad news is, Q is changing with Scruggs, Naji is changing with Tyrique, Carter is changing with Freemantle because they're both white....I think the coaching staff is
    in solidarity with this.

sorry wrong thread

see: we need a change
    Last edited by UCGRAD4X; 12-17-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.