Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Any school that wants to host NCAA Tournament games is nuts.
    Why? Not making an argument one way or the other, just curious as to why you say that. What do you see as the problems and negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Why? Not making an argument one way or the other, just curious as to why you say that. What do you see as the problems and negatives?
    If you work for a school that is hosting an NCAA event, you do all their work for them, you don't get paid, and if your own team is in the tournament it very likely means you're missing it because you're stuck behind. There is no benefit to it at all. It's essentially five days of putting aside all of your day to day responsibilities so you can do chores for the NCAA
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Supporting Member
    If you work for a school that is hosting an NCAA event, you do all their work for them, you don't get paid, and if your own team is in the tournament it very likely means you're missing it because you're stuck behind. There is no benefit to it at all. It's essentially five days of putting aside all of your day to day responsibilities so you can do chores for the NCAA
    If there were no benefits, schools wouldn't do it. It has tangible benefits to the cities in which the schools are located, which is beneficial to the school in a myriad of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    If there were no benefits, schools wouldn't do it. It has tangible benefits to the cities in which the schools are located, which is beneficial to the school in a myriad of ways.
    A lot of schools don't do it. A lot of schools that do do it, particularly the UNC branch campuses, kind of do it reluctantly. And a lot of schools that do it thinking it's going to be great end up not wanting to do it anymore.

If schools want to do it, then great! They can knock themselves out! To me, these mythical benefits that the NCAA speaks of are simply that. Mythical. They some how con people into doing all their work for them, and on top of that convince them that they're getting all these benefits out of it. That's actually a pretty unique superpower. I don't see how Drake, or Jacksonville, or Tulsa, or....I don't even remember who else hosted last year, benefited from it.

I do remember that South Carolina complained about how they never got to host, then were given the opportunity, and before the tournament even started were wanting to back out of it. I did get a kick out of that.

Unless you're Dayton...where apparently not a lot goes on...so this "first four" thing is some gigantic deal.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Supporting Member
    A lot of schools don't do it. A lot of schools that do do it, particularly the UNC branch campuses, kind of do it reluctantly. And a lot of schools that do it thinking it's going to be great end up not wanting to do it anymore.

If schools want to do it, then great! They can knock themselves out! To me, these mythical benefits that the NCAA speaks of are simply that. Mythical. They some how con people into doing all their work for them, and on top of that convince them that they're getting all these benefits out of it. That's actually a pretty unique superpower. I don't see how Drake, or Jacksonville, or Tulsa, or....I don't even remember who else hosted last year, benefited from it.

I do remember that South Carolina complained about how they never got to host, then were given the opportunity, and before the tournament even started were wanting to back out of it. I did get a kick out of that.
    Louisville loves it because it brings revenue to the city thru a myriad of ways, not directly to the school but it does come back in an indirect fashion. That is a good thing for the partnership between the school and the city. Frankly, I think you are being pretty shortsighted here.

Perhaps, but I'm also rather certain that you do not actually know anyone who works at UL and "loves it" when they host NCAA Tournament games.

Supporting Member
    Perhaps, but I'm also rather certain that you do not actually know anyone who works at UL and "loves it" when they host NCAA Tournament games.
    Your original premise was that any school that hosts a tournament game is nuts. Though on an individual basis, it's not the most fun thing to do as you pointed out, louisville chooses to host for a multitude of positive reasons. I do know many people high up in the school administration as well as at the yum center on a business level and from a city/school partnership perspective it is seen as a financial boost.

Now I can be wrong and maybe louisville and the city's relationship with the school is different than every other city in america but I'm going to assume that's not the case.

Some cities' situations are great where the venue and town are ready from the word GO. They have long done the groundwork to bring in the crowds and handle the people easily. I'd say Indy is one of those towns overall.

Others, they have to scramble and pull off so many things, things that aren't normally in their wheelhouse, that the economic revenue gained by tourism is a net loss. And when you see the early rounds on TV it's always so surprising to me how many empty seats you see. That means all the work to prepare for those masses was wasted effort. The window for that audience is so small.

An entire region really has to prepare to host big events like this every year to make it attractive. (Great example is Lexington for the World Equine Games. They had so little infrastructure to handle it. Not sure it's paid for itself yet.)

I know the people with the Cincinnati USA Sports Commission want us to be there. Things like the arena, convention hotels, and public transportation aren't helping them. It all needs to be better for that to work. But the city would be better off buying land on their own and building an arena from scratch than deal with paying the land, demo and development of the arena at the Banks now.

I predict that with the building of the soccer stadium and the two new music venues on either side of the river, that the arena remains a dump and nobody makes a major push to either replace or royally revamp it within the next decade. When it was built, there was hopes of luring an NBA team and/or an NHL team. Since then there has been a new baseball and new football stadium built..at taxpayer cost. I can’t imagine that there would be any support for another increase in taxes to pay for it, and I don’t see where the 300+ million is going to come from any private entity. None of the college arenas have the size that the NCAA thinks they need for the games, so I can’t see Cincinnati being in the running for games anytime in the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 12-12-2019 at 09:02 PM.