Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar

Cincinnati loses 2022 tourney game

Just saw this on fbook from the Enquirer. Moving from US Bank (which apparently is Heritage Bank Center now?) to Indy.

Place is such a dump and the requisite renovations were not completed.

Too bad, was looking forward to tourney games in Cincy.
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 12-11-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Thank god we have the streetcar and the new music venue.

The local governments shouldn't fund any of this shit, but a renovated US Bank/Heritage Bank is way more valuable/useful than the music venue or streetcar, especially with a better music venue being built across the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Thank god we have the streetcar and the new music venue.

The local governments shouldn't fund any of this shit, but a renovated US Bank/Heritage Bank is way more valuable/useful than the music venue or streetcar, especially with a better music venue being built across the river.
    Bullsh!t. The arena would add about as much to the local economy as two gas stations. The business is showy, but fairly sporadic. They have few guaranteed revenue streams and the outlay for a private business doesn't justify public investment. The arena owner needs to get his own loans and do the work themselves. They can. They are a very profitable venue, despite all the griping people do about it. Profitable, though, because they haven't upgraded. The plan they floated to the city trying to get out of ownership, but still hold the contract to run the business was laughable.

Time will tell on the music venue, but it will be operating year round on multiple nights. And the public investment there is just for some parking infrastructure that they'd have spent for the Banks no matter what went in there. I really wanted PromoWest to be the operator there and have healthy competition with MEMI, but powerful people in town said we risked sinking the CSO if MEMI was to go out of businesses due to competition.

The streetcar has been hampered by Cranley not getting on board with making it a success. It wasn't the greatest plan to begin with, but it was a start and killing off the Clifton rout was a huge blow. We bought our cars together with Kansas City and their system is thriving, packed, and they will be expanding. But still, the amount of business development around our streetcar line has been substantial, and several key businesses have stated they moved where they did because of the streetcar.

Yep, it's all Cranley's fault that 1) no one rides the streetcar because it really doesn't go anywhere and 2) those that do don't pay.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Yep, it's all Cranley's fault that 1) no one rides the streetcar because it really doesn't go anywhere and 2) those that do don't pay.
    It's Cranley's fault that they didn't do the traffic studies to make them run more efficiently and that they had to use the payment system they did in the first place. And it is his fault, along with Kasich, that we lost the funding to go to Clifton. And he wasted more than $100,000 trying to fight the thing that voters said they wanted.

Those issues all tie into who thinks about riding it now.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    It's Cranley's fault that they didn't do the traffic studies to make them run more efficiently and that they had to use the payment system they did in the first place. And it is his fault, along with Kasich, that we lost the funding to go to Clifton. And he wasted more than $100,000 trying to fight the thing that voters said they wanted.

They should have used a trolleybus system like the $1 to ride Southbank Shuttle in NKY. They would have been able to move the routes during festivals and spent 1/10th of the cost of the streetcar while making money!
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

If we just had that traffic study, that would have changed everything! Either that, or this was a terrible idea that was doomed for failure from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by 94GRAD View Post
    They should have used a trolleybus system like the $1 to ride Southbank Shuttle in NKY. They would have been able to move the routes during festivals and spent 1/10th of the cost of the streetcar while making money!
    I disagree. Those things hold so few people and there is no tie-in landmark for real estate like there is with a permanent line. I ride the trolley to Downtown every week, then ride the streetcar. Thankful that the trolleybuss is near me, but the streetcar would definitely be better.

The next city administration is going to have to get behind it and figure out how to improve growth, or they are just going to be digging a deeper hole. Having a mayor that's not championing one your biggest infrastructure projects is the exact opposite of progress.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    If we just had that traffic study, that would have changed everything! Either that, or this was a terrible idea that was doomed for failure from the start.
    Traffic studies hadn't been done for decades. The time of the traffic lights directly impacts how smoothly the streetcars run on time. The more they run on time, the more positively people view using it. Not hard to understand.

Cranely actively tried to avoid doing the study in order to not improve efficiency. Just a dick move.

Traffic studies hadn't been done for decades. The time of the traffic lights directly impacts how smoothly the streetcars run on time. The more they run on time, the more positively people view using it. Not hard to understand.

Cranely actively tried to avoid doing the study in order to not improve efficiency. Just a dick move.
    Jesus, you drink the PG/Landsmen/Seelbach kool aid I see.