When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar

2020 Big East +/- and the Tournament - If the Season Ended Today

SETON HALL (+5) - W at DePaul, W at Xavier, W at Butler, W at St. John's, W at Georgetown, W at Villanova, W at Marquette, L vs. Xavier, L vs. Creighton
    CREIGHTON (+4) - W at Xavier, W at DePaul, W at Villanova, W at Seton Hall, W at Marquette, L vs. Villanova
    PROVIDENCE (+3) - W at Marquette, W at DePaul, W at Butler, W at Georgetown, W at Villanova, L vs. Butler, L vs. Villanova
    VILLANOVA (+2) - W at Creighton, W at St. John's, W at Providence, W at DePaul, W at Xavier, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Creighton, L vs. Providence
    BUTLER (0) - W at St. John's, W at Providence, W at Georgetown, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Providence, L vs. Georgetown
    XAVIER (0) - W at Seton Hall, W at DePaul, W at St. John's, W at Georgetown, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Creighton, L vs. Marquette, L vs. Villanova
    MARQUETTE (-1) - W at Xavier, W at Georgetown, L vs. Providence, L vs. Creighton, L vs. Seton Hall
    GEORGETOWN (-3) - W at Butler, W at St. John's, L vs. Marquette, L vs. Providence, L vs. Butler, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Xavier
    ST. JOHN'S (-4) - W at DePaul, L vs. Butler, L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Villanova, L vs. Georgetown, L vs. Xavier
    DEPAUL (-6) - L vs. Seton Hall, L vs. Providence, L vs. Creighton, L vs. St. John's, L vs. Xavier, L vs. Villanova

And the Big East Bracket as it currently stands:

FIRST ROUND - WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11
    (8) Georgetown vs. (9) St. John's - 7:00 PM, FS1
    (7) Xavier vs. (10) DePaul - 9:30 PM, FS1

QUARTERFINAL ROUND - THURSDAY, MARCH 12
    (1) Seton Hall vs. Georgetown/St. John's - 12:00 PM, FS1
    (4) Providence vs. (5) Marquette - 2:30 PM, FS1
    (2) Creighton vs. Xavier/DePaul - 7:00 PM, FS1
    (3) Villanova vs. (6) Butler - 9:30 PM, FS1

SEMIFINAL ROUND - FRIDAY, MARCH 13
    Seton Hall/Georgetown/St. John's vs. Providence/Marquette - 6:30 PM, FS1
    Creighton/Xavier/DePaul vs. Villanova/Butler - 9:00 PM, FS1

CHAMPIONSHIP - SATURDAY MARCH 14
    Semifinal winners - 6:30 PM, FOX

Supporting Member
    Pretty sure we wouldnt be the 7 seed of the season ended today

There's a 3-way tie between X, Butler and Marquette

Marquette is 3-1 against the group
    Butler is 2-1 against the group
    Xavier is 0-3 against the group

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    There's a 3-way tie between X, Butler and Marquette

Marquette is 3-1 against the group
    Butler is 2-1 against the group
    Xavier is 0-3 against the group
    That's the tie breaker? Oh. I thought it was the record against the best team in the conference first, and then on down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    That's the tie breaker? Oh. I thought it was the record against the best team in the conference first, and then on down the line.
    It is....

We would be 5th or 6th......

Butler is 0-2 against SH, not sure about Marquette

This is the tiebreakers-

TWO-TEAM TIE

1) Regular season head-to-head results. If the tied teams split their two games, then proceed to Step 2 below.

2) Each team’s record vs. the team or group of tied teams occupying the highest position in the standings. If an advantage is not determined, proceed to the next team or group of tied teams in the standings for comparison. Continue down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

3) Compare the Conference road record of the tied teams.

4) Compare all tied teams Conference-games only road record vs. the team(s) occupying the highest position in the final Conference regular season standings, and then counting down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

5) NET ranking as published by NCAA.com website following the last day of BIG EAST regular season competition.

6) COIN FLIP. If any ties still exist after implementing all of the above tie-breaking procedures, a coin flip is required. The procedure takes place at The BIG EAST Conference office immediately following the conclusion of the last regular season conference game. Commissioner Val Ackerman or her designee will administer this procedure. This session is open to the media and to athletic department representatives of the tied teams.

MULTIPLE-TEAM TIE (3 or more teams)

1) Teams are viewed as a “mini-conference” when comparing head-to-head results. The team, or teams, with the best record vs. the other teams in the mini-conference gains the advantage and the team, or teams, with the worst record vs. the other teams in the mini-conference is seeded the lowest.

a. If only two teams have the same best winning percentage in the mini-conference, the higher seed goes to the team winning the head-to-head series.
    b. If the two teams split their two games, then proceed to Step 2 under Two-Team ties. To seed the remaining team(s) in this mini-conference, proceed to (e) below.
    c. If three or more (but not all) teams have the same best winning percentage in the original mini-conference, then those tied teams create a new mini-conference and follow this same procedure beginning of Step 1 (Multiple Team Tie).
    d. If all teams in the mini-conference have the same mini-conference record, proceed to Step 2 below.
    e. After the top or bottom teams in a mini-conference are determined, the remaining teams are ranked by their record in the original mini-conference.
    i. If there are any remaining teams tied by their record in the mini-conference, then head-to-head results will determine the higher seed.
    ii. If the teams split two games, then proceed back to the two-way tie breaking procedure.
    iii. If there are at least three teams remaining tied by their record in the miniconference, they would then form a new mini-conference and follow the procedure again at the beginning of Step 1 (Multiple-Team Tie).
    2) Compare each team’s record vs. the team or group of tied teams occupying the highest position in the standings. If an advantage is not determined, proceed to the next team or group of tied teams in the standings for comparison. Continue down through the standings until one or more teams gains an advantage. If two teams have the exact same advantage (i.e., having the same and better record against a compared team relative to their mini-conference), they are separated at that point by the two-way tiebreaker procedure. The next step would take you back to Step 1 (e) (Multiple-Team Tie).

3) If more than 2 teams are still tied, a comparison of the tied teams Conference game only road records.

4) If more than two teams are still tied, a comparison of the tied teams Conference-games only road records vs. the team(s) occupying the highest position in the final Conference regular season standings, and then continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.
    When arriving at another group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to that group’s own tie-breaking procedure), rather than the performance against individual tied teams.
    If at any point the multiple-teams tie is reduced to two teams, the two-team tie- breaking procedures above will be applied. Once a team is eliminated from a multi-team comparison, it is dropped from further comparisons.

5) COIN FLIP. If any ties still exist after implementing all of the above tie-breaking procedures, a coin flip is required. The procedure takes place at The BIG EAST Conference office immediately following the conclusion of the last regular season conference game. Commissioner Val Ackerman or her designee will administer this procedure. This session is open to the media and to athletic department representatives of the tied teams.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    It is....

We would be 5th or 6th......

Butler is 0-2 against SH, not sure about Marquette
    I was assuming we beat Butler in my scenario..........my bad.....

The tiebreak rules from 94Grad confirmed my suspicions - record against 1st place teams, 2nd place teams come in handy once you're tied with someone in overall record and head-to-head.

Here are the last two games for everyone in that grouping:

Marquette - at DePaul, at St. John's
    Butler - St. John's, at Xavier
    Xavier - at Providence, Butler

Assuming Marquette were to sweep their last two games and both Butler and Xavier split their games to go to 9-9, then Xavier would be able to take advantage of their win against Seton Hall in a tiebreaking scenario.

It's also worth noting that Providence finishes with home games against Xavier and DePaul. The Friars might lose to Xavier, but there's no way they're losing both games the way they're playing right now.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Yeah I was super confused about tie breaker before 94 posted. I didnt think head to head was the tie breaker at first which was weird but it is, then record against 1st place team and so on down the line.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Sophomore
    Too many notes!