Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamont Sanford View Post
    As much as I enjoyed the W over the Buttcats yesterday, I was surprised to see Steele shrink the bench as much as he did. Where was KyKy and Bishop? Why isn't Freemantle playing more?!? Get Ramsey in there for him to experience the live action firsthand. The young kids need on-court experience...get them in there for a couple minutes. That's my only gripe.
    I don't think the Shootout is the game to get minutes for young players.
    I have a podcast. Sometimes we talk about Xavier: You. Me. Cincy.
    I put the X in Texas. @fleckd.

Quote Originally Posted by XUOHTX View Post
    It is early still and I believe Steele wanted to win rather than play KyKy and Bishop and Ramsey for they need a lot of practice to gain confidence. Freemantle played in 2nd half but I want a senior to lead the team in a Shootout over a frosh.

I think KyKy should have got some second half clock, but I'm not going to complain about anything in a Shootout win.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamont Sanford View Post
    As much as I enjoyed the W over the Buttcats yesterday, I was surprised to see Steele shrink the bench as much as he did. Where was KyKy and Bishop? Why isn't Freemantle playing more?!? Get Ramsey in there for him to experience the live action firsthand. The young kids need on-court experience...get them in there for a couple minutes. That's my only gripe.
    I'm with XUOHTX. The atmosphere at Cintas last night was, finally and thankfully, electric (although I still think there is room for improvement). The crowd this year, has been late arriving, if at all----probably a direct function of the softness of the early season schedule. Yesterday was different and even though I still expected to see more minutes from Tandy, I defer to Steele. There would have been lots of pressure on Tandy, who as others have pointed out, is till playing catch-up.

Bishop will play more but maybe not much more this year. I look forward to his sophomore year. Right now, I don't see a combination in prime time, that works with him in the game. He is simply not a threat offensively. So, if you sub him for Carter, as a "3/4", you can expect nothing offensively leaving production to Scruggs, Naji and Tyrique/Freemantle (assuming Q is at P.G.) And, that's also a small lineup. Maybe if Scruggs moves to P.G. and you play Bishop at the "2", he can get some minutes but that's not going to occur often (I think). Ramsey is a freshman who, additionally. is way, way behind due to his injuries. I don't know the rules around red shirting but were I in Steele's shoes, Ramsey would be a prime candidate. Just watching him warm up, he looks like his knees are hurting. Don't see him coming off the bench except for mop-up situations and I expect few of those from here on out.

I would like to see more of James. He seems to be confident enough to take his shots and with Carter's recent difficulties (and, I too, thought Carter played better yesterday) perhaps James could help. I suspect there may be some unidentified issues affecting his p.t. but that is just speculation. I am not close to the program and have no way of knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by XUOHTX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    It is early still and I believe Steele wanted to win rather than play KyKy and Bishop and Ramsey for they need a lot of practice to gain confidence. Freemantle played in 2nd half but I want a senior to lead the team in a Shootout over a frosh.
    I definitely think Steele shrunk the bench to ensure a win, he's been around the program a long time, and obviously knows what the Shootout means, and I'm sure he wanted to make sure we saw it through completely, I quoted these both because I think you can put Freshmen in the Shootout, but it really depends on how beneficial they'll be. I bet if Kentucky Jelly didn't have that long time out, and was getting into rhythm a bit he would have gotten some more minutes, as someone else said Ramsey just still looks like he's reeling and trying to figure things out, wouldn't want to put him in unless Tyrique got into worse foul trouble, and Carter and Freemantle needed to be spelled, luckily we do have Freemantle who is one tough son of a gun. I think Bishop lost out to Moore's experience, and the fact that as of this particular moment Moore is more of a threat (D & 3 wise) than Bishop is. I mean, these aren't top 20 recruits so it's going to take adjustment and time, and I have no doubt they'll be good players down the road, but I was completely fine with Steele's decision making.

Just imagine what could happen if we start clicking for more than like 20 minutes a game, we could blow the doors off some teams. I do think this game will do wonders for Naji's confidence though, because when Naji is on like he was yesterday, he's absolutely elite. I also think Scruggs has been pretty solid so far this season, he was a monster in Charleston, it's just rare that both go off for monster games together, which I think has to do with giving the hot hand the opportunity to make plays, but I would love a game where Naji and Scruggs both go for like 20 each.

Some of you guys are unbelievable. Seriously. WTF? Priority #1 is to WIN THE GAME! I have ZERO issues with PT for our young unproven guys. We play teams like Green Bay and Western Carolina for that.

I have a Shootout question that perhaps someone here can answer. When was the last time two coaches faced off in the Shootout when neither coach had beaten the other school?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    I have a Shootout question that perhaps someone here can answer. When was the last time two coaches faced off in the Shootout when neither coach had beaten the other school?
    The first one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

I believe that every first year coach has lost their first shootout except for Bob Huggins.
    Balls of Steele!!

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    2005-06

Sean Miller v. Andy Kennedy