Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I don't like saying this, but has the Shootout sort of....yunno....lost something??
    Wait did PDoc come to xavierhoops for his annual "the shootout lost its luster" column??
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 12-05-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Now it is Shootout time. Always brings a chuckle to hear college basketball's Joker go down this path.

Please tell me that was the year Gillen and Huggins were having a Skyline/Gold Star argument after the game.
    It was that same game, as a matter of fact!
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Wait did PDoc come to xavierhoops for his annual "the shootout lost its luster" column??
    Not sure who PDoc is, but there was a time when there were multiple active UC threads in the middle of the summer. The game is the day after tomorrow, and the Green Bay game thread is still getting more activity than this loan Shootout thread, and that was a buy game that was played yesterday. It does seem to have a little less luster than it once did.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Sophomore
    Not sure who PDoc is, but there was a time when there were multiple active UC threads in the middle of the summer. The game is the day after tomorrow, and the Green Bay game thread is still getting more activity than this loan Shootout thread, and that was a buy game that was played yesterday. It does seem to have a little less luster than it once did.
    PDoc = Paul Daughtery

Sophomore
    it's lost something in that UC isn't very good

Sophomore
    imo it has never totally been the same since huggins left. none of cronin's teams were ever really nationally relevant and their fan base never really fully supported him either

I think it’s lost some of its luster because X has gotten so much better that beating UC isn’t that big of a deal. It’s now X that plays in a big time conference and UC that plays in a lesser one. It’s X that is getting the top recruits and UC is getting unknowns. The fact that UC football is somewhat relevant on the national scale means that they don’t hang their hat only on BB anymore. The fact that X has been the top dog in town for awhile might really bother many UC supporters, but the fact is that there is nothing they can do about it.......And of course, there is the fact that the coaches have changed.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    it's lost something in that UC isn't very good
    Not so fast my friend. It's always an "anything can happen game". The big difference this year is for the first time, in a long time, UC doesn't have an obnoxious asshole for a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Not so fast my friend. It's always an "anything can happen game". The big difference this year is for the first time, in a long time, UC doesn't have an obnoxious asshole for a coach.
    ^^^This^^^ In the post game show Wednesday, Steele was asked about the Shootout and said that the best team doesn’t always win that game.

He’s definitely right about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I'm not going to pretend that it hasnt changed some, especially with Huggins leaving and now Cronin being gone. Some of the pre game hate/buzz may be less at times but I challenge anyone to attend the game at either building and tell me the Shootout has lost its luster. The buzz in the building before during and after is always one of the best sports atmospheres around.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17