Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Maybe........but we've played a whopping total of 1 good team thus far. BE play is gonna be a lot different.
    I’m not sure the BE is very good either... it’s better than our noncon schedule however.

Supporting Member
    Maybe........but we've played a whopping total of 1 good team thus far. BE play is gonna be a lot different.
    I think uconn is a tournament team, but I hear ya.

Butler may prove me wrong Saturday but I feel like florida is better than anyone in the big east this year and x was right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I’m not sure the BE is very good either
    Huh? There may not be any great teams, but the Big East is rock solid 1-9 (sorry Provi).

I’m not sure the BE is very good either... it’s better than our noncon schedule however.
    When DePaul is 9-0, 5 teams in the Kenpom top 30 and all but St Johns in the Kenpom top 60, it's hard to say that the Big East isn't good. There may not be any elite teams, but there doesn't seem to be many scrub teams.

Uconn will be a nice OOC win in my opinion.
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    Uconn will be a nice OOC win in my opinion.
    I think UCONN is at best a bubble team this year.

UConn is Sagarin-ing (is that a word) 6th in the AAC at #58. I think that's probably about right for them. Neutral court wins over NIT teams are still pretty decent wins.

No suggestion to "fire Steele." We need him to improve in quality of play, not just wins. Fans can support the players, while still acknowledging the drop in good basketball development of our most experienced guys. Chemistry might be an issue, but I think some guys have just stopped developing under his guidance. That will hopefully change in due course. This season will continue to be a nail biter.

Yeah, they've won a lot of games on talent, improved defense, and some luck. The number one issue ALL struggling college basketball teams have is the lack of a solid point guard. Our most experienced point guard this year lack confidence and awareness.

Goodin has achieved many things here, but he's regressed, especially considering expectations. He often knows what to do, but loses ball control too often. (1 out of 4 possessions is a turnover.) His defense has been important in the scheme of this roster, but his overall production (advanced stats wise) is one of the lowest amongst Big East players right now. Still, he has a leadership role this season and I hope things start to click for him.

Jones is the second most important player for us. His positive development to stop fouling means we're seeing the good player he has likely always been. But he's not so gifted to take over by himself. A better point guard would help him use his skill and advantages and produce even higher. Now he's mostly getting field goals on his own, which is great, but limiting.

Skrugs has been the most important player on the court for us. He's playing point better than Goodin, but only in that he shows confidence when driving and shooting himself. He's really good at that, and it's critical. But he's not setting up others at a high level. Or they aren't converting by his efforts to assist.

What is the conference’s best win so far? DePaul at Iowa? I guess I am not yet convinced there are a lot of good teams in our conference, X included.

What is the conference’s best win so far? DePaul at Iowa? I guess I am not yet convinced there are a lot of good teams in our conference, X included.

Best wins so far based on Bart Torvik's ranking (very similar to Kenpom, but free):

Villanova over Mississippi State
    Butler over Stanford
    X over UCONN
    Marquette over Perdue
    Creighton over Texas Tech
    Georgetown over Texas AND OK State
    Depaul over Texas Tech AND Iowa

I think on paper Texas Tech is the highest rated win, but since that school lost three in a row to Creighton, Depaul, and Iowa, I'm not so sure why they rated highly. Probably the early-season curve based on last year.
    Last edited by sirthought; 12-05-2019 at 06:20 PM.