Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xuwin View Post
    It's unusual that with Goodin's strength and athleticism and ability to penetrate he doesn't have a knack for drawing fouls.
    It is unusual, and a big part of the concern but consider Paul Scruggs. He has been very aggressive in the paint, yet only 10 FTAs? It’s almost like he instinctively avoids contact. I view him as a similar type player (decades apart of course) as BLark but nearly the exact opposite in approach. The guy is shooting at an 80% clip from the line...give em’ a chance for some contact. Start drawing some “and ones”, lots of twos and get an extra 5-6 from the stripe. That is a totally coachable skill.

Certainly a reasonable point of discussion but deemed negative for even bringing it up....Got negs from 2 very sensitive members.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 12-03-2019 at 05:56 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    It is unusual, and a big part of the concern but consider Paul Scruggs. He has been very aggressive in the paint, yet only 10 FTAs? It’s almost like he instinctively avoids contact. I view him as a similar type player (decades apart of course) as BLark but nearly the exact opposite in approach. The guy is shooting at an 80% clip from the line...give em’ a chance for some contact. Start drawing some “and ones”, lots of twos and get an extra 5-6 from the stripe. That is a totally coachable skill.

Certainly a reasonable point of discussion but deemed negative for even bringing it up....Got negs from 2 very sensitive members.
    You may be a little sensitive yourself........geesh.

Also, Scruggs has been great this year. A little sloppy with the ball at times. He gets into the paint better than any other player not named Tyrique Jones and has been very effective. Criticizing him for not drawing contact is absurd.

I'm sure the coaches are aware of the issues that have been mentioned and with greater depth, perspective and awareness than expressed here.

Either they will take measures to get the players up to the expected standards, and if they do not, two scenarios will be apparent.

Players who aren't performing / conforming will have less playing time.

Schemes and strategies will be changed to mitigate these deficiencies and get the best people in the best place to make the team as successful as possible (as per note above).

When it comes right down to it, the coaches can do so much, Bottom line (no pun intended) the players have to put in the work, succumb to the practice regimen, changing schemes and implement them in games.

The players have to perform.

I would not characterize it as disturbing at this point. I am certainly concerned but I also have faith in Travis and Co. If there is not improvement, incrementally up to league play - then disturbing might be appropriate. If it continues far into BE play, disturbing would be putting it mildly.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

A "slaughter" is when a player makes his 2nd FT in a row. Let's "Moo!" (especially because it sounds like "boo") every time after the first one goes in. Teams win 99 44/100's of the time when they get 20 slaughters in a game.

Steele is doing great and has 100% my support especially this time of the season and during shootout week - despite the overly provocative thread title (hence, the deserved push back). Also, good job by others pointing out FT's, if a serious problem, are mostly due to just a couple of guys (hence, undermining the thread's premise). On topic, early season, Jones has struggled a bit both around the rim and with FTs. On FTs, he is using some of the same techniques (pausing and focusing) that brought him up to the mid-60%'s last year. Every indication is that he continues to work hard in practice; and we all wish him to see the fruits on the court. I predict they'll start falling.

Feel free to bring it up, it is what message boards are all about.

You say "The guy is shooting at an 80% clip from the line..." which is true. Lately it seems our offense is working better. They still have far too many turnovers and ill advised shots, but the point Scruggs should drive the lane is valid. Even though, "the 80% clip from the line" is on 10 free throws, he has averaged 75% FT thus far in his collegiate career.

I think it is too early in the season, and far too early in Travis Steele's tenure to say poor FT shooting is a "trend". If you want to point to one of the greatest factors in the poor team FT shooting numbers, look no further than Tyrique Jones. He is a career 57.3% FT shooter, and drags down the team #'s and %'s and he shoots more FT's than any other player in our lineup.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Ironic you declare those who down voted your nonsense post on an internet forum sensitive members.

My take on this: It appears to me that Scruggs has figured out that he can drive the ball into the paint and score with hesitation moves and/or short fade-away jumpers. Both of those skills don't tend to draw fouls (especially the fade-away shots), but he has been quite effective in scoring inside. So personally, I'd rather he continue to hit these high percentage shots rather than drive into traffic and hope to get fouled. It's obviously something he's worked on and it's paying off.
    It's winning time.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I think it has more to do with the free throw drills Steele is running in practice. He has to change that.
    I agree. After all, he's a relatively new head coach and probably just isn't sure how to coach free throws.

I took the initiative to do some research for him, and found some great free throw drills by googling "free throw drills."

I'll email him the following information, and hopefully this team can get back on track:

https://www.coachesclipboard.net/FreeThrowDrills.html

https://www.basketballforcoaches.com/free-throw-drills/

https://winninghoops.com/article/don...hooting-games/

I’m sure that the head coach of the Xavier Musketeers, who has over a decade of college coaching experience, is grateful that he receives such great support and information from a forum moderator. Armed with such information, I’m sure that he will be able to turn these players into Rick Mount within the week.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I’m sure that the head coach of the Xavier Musketeers, who has over a decade of college coaching experience, is grateful that he receives such great support and information from a forum moderator. Armed with such information, I’m sure that he will be able to turn these players into Rick Mount within the week.

That's my hope. All for One, and One for All.