Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    I am specifically referring to our past tradition of making more than the opponent attempts and we are not close enough to 137 made. Just wondering why results under Steele are so detached from previous norms. I have no doubt that the % will improve but consistently getting to the line more is a separate concern that coach needs to address.
    We're only 8 games into the season.

And the stat you quote (X make more free throws than the other team attempts) may be true for some years (2017-18 season) but is not true for most recent years (see for example, every season before 2017- 2018 going back to 2008-2009.)
    Last edited by XU 87; 12-01-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Yea but it gets much more competitive soon. It's a legit concern. Just surprised that with the physicality of this roster, that we're not drawing more shooting fouls in the paint.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Yea but it gets much more competitive soon. It's a legit concern. Just surprised that with the physicality of this roster, that we're not drawing more shooting fouls in the paint.
    You're concerned about a stat (X makes more free throws than the other team attempts) that has happened once in the last 10 years.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    We're only 8 games into the season.

And the stat you quote (X make more free throws than the other team attempts) may be true for some years (2017-18 season) but is not true for most recent years (see for example, every season before 2017- 2018 going back to 2008-2009.)
    but it's a tradition, you see

Redford shot 96% ft and 44.6% from 3 his last year. Maybe bring him in for a consult. So far we're shooting like the Storm Troopers.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    You're concerned about a stat (X makes more free throws than the other team attempts) that has happened once in the last 10 years.
    Of course, doing it for the ENTIRE SEASON is definitely a rarity and a helluva accomplishment. Doubt that many teams have done that recently. I'm speaking of doing it at a very high clip on a game to game basis, which used to be a point of emphasis and expected before Steele. In fact, it's a stat that Byron has pointed to on a regular basis in the past.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Are the refs calling less fouls?
    The ref’s definitely swallowed their whistle yesterday which I liked. Hopefully that will continue because we can’t afford the cheap fouls with the defensive intensity we’re playing with.

Free throw shooting has been abysmal so far under Steele. Yesterday was particularly terrible. I think 7 guys went to the line and NO ONE made a single freebie except ZFree! We hardly got to the line anyway, which is equally disturbing. Only 13 attempts vs that team? What the hell is going on?

It seems like forever that Xavier's calling card was that we made more FTs than the other team ATTEMPTED. This has been a very powerful and undeniable factor in our decades of success but for some reason Steele is not cutting it. In fact, the table has nearly been turned on us a couple of times, especially the UConn game.

We just are not getting to the line nearly enough, and obviously, not making enough when we do....with this roster of physical/athletic upperclassmen it's inexcusable. We simply have to start drawing more fouls. Anyone have a theory on why we're not? I predict that if these mediocre FT #'s/% continue, a mediocre record will follow.
    What would you have Steele do differently? It’s not as if he’s coaching them to miss free throws. I suspect we just have a crop of guys that for whatever reason aren’t good free throw shooters. Some people just shoot them well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    The ref’s definitely swallowed their whistle yesterday which I liked. Hopefully that will continue because we can’t afford the cheap fouls with the defensive intensity we’re playing with.
    Agreed. It was nice not having the endless parade to the charity stripe yesterday. Neither team got to the bonus in the first half. In the second half, we’re finally got to the bonus with 1:44 left in the game. They got to the bonus with 53 seconds left.

If anyone thinks this team doesn’t shoot a boatload of FTs at every practice, you’re clueless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

XU's offense is better than Virginia's offense but Virginia's defense is amazing. Hope X can get defenders like VA.