Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 102
  1. #81
    Sophomore IM4X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,357
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    when has naji directly played down those concerns? i don't remember that. i can remember a few of the players occasionally talking about making better decisions
    Post game interviews. When someone from the press asked Naji what he thought about the teams continued poor shooting from 3 (about 4 games into the season), Naji said it was not an issue and that it was only a matter of time before those same shots would start falling. Meanwhile, Steele told the media a different story... that his players needed to be much better with their shot selection from 3.

    The conflicting comments and continued bad shots the following game by Naji and several others lead me to wonder whether Steele was simply not getting through to his players, or if Naji and some of his teammates bought in that it was a real issue that needed fixed and were just playing it down to the media.
    Last edited by IM4X; 12-03-2019 at 09:15 PM.

  2. #82
    Sophomore scoscox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Post game interviews. When someone from the press asked Naji what he thought about the teams continued poor shooting from 3 (about 4 games into the season), Naji said it was not an issue and that it was only a matter of time before those same shots would start falling. Meanwhile, Steele told the media a different story... that his players needed to be much better with their shot selection from 3.

    The conflicting comments and continued bad shots the following game by Naji and several others lead me to wonder whether Steele was simply not getting through to his players, or if Naji and some of his teammates bought in that it was a real issue that needed fixed and were just playing it down to the media.
    ah yes, i thought you were referring to the turnovers. yes, i remember that. in his defense, steele has repeatedly said he doesn't care about missed shots. i don't mind that comment. we were shooting like 25% at the time and there was no way that could continue. we've been solidly in the 30's since he said that.

    missed shots are different from shot selection though
    "The only time you take your hands off an opponent's throat is to get a better grip" - Byron Larkin

  3. #83
    Giggity Giggity nuts4xu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Xavier Nation
    Posts
    5,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    These fan boards are weird places. I’m fairly new to them by comparison and not really skilled at articulating on a keyboard...
    Welcome to the internet. The World Wide Web missed you the past 25 years, glad you are starting to catch on to how it works!

    When crafting your next thread, remember your own statement “I’m...not really skilled at articulating on a keyboard”.

    Your thread attracted a lot of eyes and responses, maybe being bad at the internet is your niche. Hope it catches on...
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

  4. #84
    Sophomore Lloyd Braun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,778
    It appears I may be in the minority here but I believe you can coach improved free throw shooting. Ultimately it is up to the players to put the work in for muscle memory but coaching does affect free throw shooting. I am sure our guys shoot a lot of free throws, but could it be worked on with more detail? Possibly. Watching some of our guys with poor FT % is painful at times as their form is inconsistent -from knee bending to release point. Obviously having good shooters helps with FT % but guys who aren’t good shooters can still be good at the FT line.

    Having a thread dedicated to this is a tad overkill, but we are only two Naji 3s away from a “Fire Steele!” Thread.

  5. #85
    I still believe. muskiefan82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post

    we are only two Naji 3s away from a “Fire Steele!” Thread.
    Ha! This is, unfortunately, so very true.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

  6. #86
    Sophomore IM4X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,357
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    ah yes, i thought you were referring to the turnovers. yes, i remember that. in his defense, steele has repeatedly said he doesn't care about missed shots. i don't mind that comment. we were shooting like 25% at the time and there was no way that could continue. we've been solidly in the 30's since he said that.

    missed shots are different from shot selection though


    One can lead to the other. Can it not?

    Bad shot selection (e.g. shots from 30+ feet away, rushed shots where the lower body is not squared with the basket) will more likely result in a higher percentage of missed shots.

    It does appear though that better 3 point shooters on the team are starting to take more of the 3s. Let’s hope that trend continue.

  7. #87
    Supporting Member XU 87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,486
    Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    I agree. After all, he's a relatively new head coach and probably just isn't sure how to coach free throws.

    I took the initiative to do some research for him, and found some great free throw drills by googling "free throw drills."

    I'll email him the following information, and hopefully this team can get back on track:

    https://www.coachesclipboard.net/FreeThrowDrills.html

    https://www.basketballforcoaches.com/free-throw-drills/

    https://winninghoops.com/article/don...hooting-games/
    I expect to see the team to shoot 80% from the line tonight. If not, I would send these drills to him again. He needs to listen.

  8. #88
    I'm just responding to the thread creator. Three words...
    Chill freaking pill!

  9. #89
    Senior Moderator xeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    3,954
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I expect to see the team to shoot 80% from the line tonight. If not, I would send these drills to him again. He needs to listen.

    No kidding. In my next email I will cc: Greg Christopher and Fr. Graham.

  10. #90
    Supporting Member 94GRAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dana's
    Posts
    2,463
    Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    No kidding. In my next email I will cc: Greg Christopher and Fr. Graham.
    If you want stuff accomplished, let Mario know! He gets shit done.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •