Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Disturbing trend under Steele

Free throw shooting has been abysmal so far under Steele. Yesterday was particularly terrible. I think 7 guys went to the line and NO ONE made a single freebie except ZFree! We hardly got to the line anyway, which is equally disturbing. Only 13 attempts vs that team? What the hell is going on?

It seems like forever that Xavier's calling card was that we made more FTs than the other team ATTEMPTED. This has been a very powerful and undeniable factor in our decades of success but for some reason Steele is not cutting it. In fact, the table has nearly been turned on us a couple of times, especially the UConn game.

We just are not getting to the line nearly enough, and obviously, not making enough when we do....with this roster of physical/athletic upperclassmen it's inexcusable. We simply have to start drawing more fouls. Anyone have a theory on why we're not? I predict that if these mediocre FT #'s/% continue, a mediocre record will follow.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 12-01-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Lighten up Francis

Are the refs calling less fouls? I will say the league as a whole seems to be shooting more 3’s and there doesn’t seem to be a distance that will keep that from happening.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

All-Conference
    Apparently we're 1-7, not 7-1. Damn.

X has attempted 165 free throws this year. The other team- 137.

As for making them, I wonder if they are practicing free throws enough, or maybe they need better free throw drills. Either that, or this team simply doesn't shoot very well.

I will say- Bishop is a head scratcher so far- he's 4-13 from the free throw line. He's also 4-24 from the field.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    or this team simply doesn't shoot very well.

That's one theory...

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    That's one theory...
    you mean to tell me the team shooting 27% from three isn't a good shooting team?!

All-Conference
    The season is going to be a grind. I think most would have expected to kind of build off of the momentum from last year, and pick up where we left off, but we haven't. We have a few non conference games left that won't be gimmies, and the Big East will be very tough.

In saying that, I think the team is improving each game. Adding KyKy and establishing Paul as the go-to guy will allow Naji and Q to settle in (I hope). Naji is so much better playing off of others than trying to do it all himself. He's a first teamer when he lets the game come to him and doesn't try to do too much.

We can't shoot - get used to it. Hopefully, in the most important games, we get hot. Every team gets hot once in a while. Also, let's hope our best shooters (Paul, KyKy) take the majority of our threes and the others (Q, Naji) get to the rim. That's when they are at their best.

We have depth. Every guy isn't going to play a great game every game. But we have many guys that are capable of great games.

Just get in the tournament, and we know what can happen. And beat UC.
    Last edited by drudy23; 12-01-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    you mean to tell me the team shooting 27% from three isn't a good shooting team?!
    That's just my speculation. I think it has more to do with the free throw drills Steele is running in practice. He has to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    X has attempted 165 free throws this year. The other team- 137.

As for making them, I wonder if they are practicing free throws enough, or maybe they need better free throw drills. Either that, or this team simply doesn't shoot very well..
    I am specifically referring to our past tradition of making more than the opponent attempts and we are not close enough to 137 made. Just wondering why results under Steele are somewhat detached from previous norms. I have no doubt that the % will improve but consistently getting to the line more is a separate concern that coach needs to address.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 12-01-2019 at 11:11 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club