Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turnovers

Steele had some interesting comments about the to's on his show last night. He said the obvious- this team has way too many to's and takes too many bad shots.

But he also said that he has been giving the team a lot of freedom on offense, but that he may start calling more and more set plays. At the end of last year, he was mostly calling set plays on offense.

I suggest he go back to what has worked.

To add to XU87's post... 42% of offensive possessions during the UConn game were turnovers or a "bad shot" (as determined by Travis), to make things a little worse, 43% of offensive possessions during the Florida game were turnovers or a "bad shot". Travis watched the Florida game film on the flight back on Sunday night. Again when he got home at 3AM and a third time when he got to Cintas on Monday. He said he would watch all the offensive plays in a row and then all the defensive possessions in a row. He was clearly not happy at all. He prefers that the offense have more of a free flow to it because it is harder to scout but in no uncertain terms said that more sets are going to be called from the bench, possibly every play until the turnover situation gets fixed. Although X walked out with two wins and a runner up finish, he was not happy with the display and they have a lot to get fixed.
    I have complete faith in coach Steele and Co.

Freshman
    Category Value Rank
    eFG 47% 226
    OR% 29.50% 106
    TO% 17.70% 195
    FTR 0.248 111
    PPP 0.95 202

Our offense is pretty bad, but the shooting is worse than TO Rate, and is much more crucial to scoring (Roughly 50% more important).

Quote Originally Posted by dethwing View Post
    Category Value Rank
    eFG 47% 226
    OR% 29.50% 106
    TO% 17.70% 195
    FTR 0.248 111
    PPP 0.95 202

Our offense is pretty bad, but the shooting is worse than TO Rate, and is much more crucial to scoring (Roughly 50% more important).
    Are those from Kenpom? Kenpom has X's overall offense ranked at 52, which is higher than I thought it would be. Defense is 18.

All-Conference
    Even a little execution on offense would make this team significantly better. I think it's been shown that this group doesn't make great decisions when left to their own devices.

JP and Tre's team had a higher level of IQ and could get away with this at times. They also had Tre who made pretty much everything when he was open and earned the green light.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Steele had some interesting comments about the to's on his show last night. He said the obvious- this team has way too many to's and takes too many bad shots.

But he also said that he has been giving the team a lot of freedom on offense, but that he may start calling more and more set plays. At the end of last year, he was mostly calling set plays on offense.

I suggest he go back to what has worked.
    My magic eight ball and I concur ——— Yes - Definitely!

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    The Big East has 64 players that have played 40% of their team's minutes thus far. Xavier has 6 of those 64. Here is where our players rank out of the 64 in terms of percent of their possessions that they turn it over:

11. Bryce Moore 10.6%

35. Tyrique Jones 18.6%
    38. Paul Scruggs 19.5%
    39. Naji Marshall 19.6%
    49. Jason Carter 23.4%
    60. Quentin Goodin 27.9%

When you mix in the fact that we aren't a good perimeter shooting team, and the fact that we turn it over a ton, that is putting an incredible amount of pressure on our defense to be unreal every game.
    Update through 11 games, The Big East now has 66 players that have played 40% of their team's minutes. Xavier still has 6 of them.

8. Bryce Moore 10.6%
    -------------------------------------------

27. Tyrique Jones 16.4%
    33. Naji Marshall 17.5%
    40. Jason Carter 19.2%
    44. Paul Scruggs 20.5%
    59. Quentin Goodin 24.2%

Add to that we are 285th in the country in points from beyond the arc, and to reinforce someone's point from last week about our inability to get to the line, we are 147th in points from the FT line (but our FT percentage is 251st in the country).

Lastly, to piggy-back on someone's post in another thread that we need to develop the bench, we are 290th in bench minutes.

All in all, turnovers have gotten a little better, but we still aren't shooting it well and still not making our FTs when we do get to the line.

I think this thread needs a turnover.

T**ties for Tuesday anyone? Whose with me? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

[plus the alliteration works]
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.