Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turnovers

Sophomore

Turnovers

You don't need a Masters' degree in Hoopology to see that Xavier is killing themselves with turnovers. To compound the matter, the majority of them are live-ball turnovers, leading to odd-number rushes at the other end. Here is some quantitative evidence of just how bad the issue for us is:

The Big East has 64 players that have played 40% of their team's minutes thus far. Xavier has 6 of those 64. Here is where our players rank out of the 64 in terms of percent of their possessions that they turn it over:

11. Bryce Moore 10.6%

35. Tyrique Jones 18.6%
    38. Paul Scruggs 19.5%
    39. Naji Marshall 19.6%
    49. Jason Carter 23.4%
    60. Quentin Goodin 27.9%

When you mix in the fact that we aren't a good perimeter shooting team, and the fact that we turn it over a ton, that is putting an incredible amount of pressure on our defense to be unreal every game.

Sophomore
    great numbers and I noticed that most are one handed passes on the move, high risk but only medium reward. Look at video of Castlin last year, he stepped into every pass, did not hit home runs but never turned it over. Carter due to lack of confidence and his opponent can sniff it, Tyrique is from a failed inside move where he lost his pivot foot, Scruggs a little laziness, ditto Marshall and Q from entry passes from too far out.
    Last edited by whopper; 11-25-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Apple is my favorite, but I like most any kind. Yum!

Sophomore
    obviously the turnovers are a huge problem for this team right now. But, since you're taking these 64 big east players, it's basically all the starters plus top bench guy for each team. Can you list it by team for some of the others? Just for the sake of comparison.

All-Conference
    So Q and Carter turn it over every 4 possessions? And the other 3 every 5 possessions? Yikes.

Ummmmm, I’m surprised we ever get a shot off!

That's you PG, the guy that's supposed to have the best handle and decision making on the team.....

Sophomore
    this can be fixed I know(I hope). A sad fact is that our two LIVE BALL STEALS by Marshall and Carter, turned into LIVE BALL TURNOVERS (and could have been close range shots) by handling like a hot potato.

Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    this can be fixed I know(I hope). A sad fact is that our two LIVE BALL STEALS by Marshall and Carter, turned into LIVE BALL TURNOVERS (and could have been close range shots) by handling like a hot potato.
    Yes. It was as if they both suffered from premature ejaculation. They got so excited from the steal....oops. Had to get the dudes with the floor wipers out there.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Yes. It was as if they both suffered from premature ejaculation.
    This is not the UMass board.