Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I don’t remember which season it was but several years ago X was getting pressed a lot and not handling it well at all. When asked about this Chris Mack replied “good teams beat a press”. And not only beat a press but score off a press. Seton Hall looked lost against the press the last 2:30 and as a result were out of time outs, leaving (double checks the play by play) Shavar Reynolds(!) taking a forced shot to tie the game. Willard is and always has been underwhelming as a coach in crunch time.
    it's not like mack was ever great at breaking the press. his teams always had major problems. breaking the press is somewhat coaching, but it's also very personnel dependent. you've gotta have a good ballhandler. if you don't have one, all the press breaks in the world count for nothing. i suppose there's something to be said for coaching guys that are posed under that pressure, but there's only so much a coach can do in that department

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    it's not like mack was ever great at breaking the press. his teams always had major problems. breaking the press is somewhat coaching, but it's also very personnel dependent. you've gotta have a good ballhandler. if you don't have one, all the press breaks in the world count for nothing. i suppose there's something to be said for coaching guys that are posed under that pressure, but there's only so much a coach can do in that department
    Yes I think that was his point actually. He was asked this after they looked terrible breaking a press if memory serves me correctly. Basically saying “we are not a good team right now.” Obviously personnel matters but press breaks are coached and it is one of the simpler portions of coaching. If you know the press/trap in backcourt is coming there is no reason to turn it over because you have an inherent advantage (4 on 3) on the court.

Oh, and the Big East had a shitty week 4. League may be wide open...

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Oh, and the Big East had a shitty week 4. League may be wide open...
    Yeah I still see it coming down to us, SH and Nova. Nova is young but has some good talent and of course, has shooters. If X wants to pick up another championship, they better figure out how to take care of the ball and play a much more organized and efficient offense. We aren't going to magically start shooting it a lot better. Hopefully KyKy can help some........but getting guys in better spots on the floor (like Naji) where they can exploit their strengths is key.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Yeah I still see it coming down to us, SH and Nova. Nova is young but has some good talent and of course, has shooters. If X wants to pick up another championship, they better figure out how to take care of the ball and play a much more organized and efficient offense. We aren't going to magically start shooting it a lot better. Hopefully KyKy can help some........but getting guys in better spots on the floor (like Naji) where they can exploit their strengths is key.
    Xavier is young and has lots of talent.....
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Xavier is young and has lots of talent.....
    Xavier is not young? News to me.....

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Yeah, I agree, Nova hasn't looked like they're unbeatable, hell we even got em last year. I think we have a great chance this year, we play really good defense for starters, which is massive. It's definitely all about the stupid turnovers, and if we can pose enough of a threat offensively to win games. We have a roster that's deep, athletic, and should compete in the Big East. Neither Seton Hall or Villanova have looked like clear cut top dogs, so why not us?

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    DePaul is 8-0 with a win at Minnesota. This is not a drill.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    DePaul is 8-0 with a win at Minnesota. This is not a drill.
    Guess they should play in the Big 10

Good point, they’d be 2-0.