Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Well, we needed three on the first one and steele runs that play specifically for the shot naji took. we didn't need a three on the second one, which is obviously why it was a bad choice, but in the postgame naji said that he was worried because he had four fouls and didn't want to pick one up going to the basket (something he's probably wary of after the way the nova game got sent to OT last year). honestly, i can live with that explanation
    On the radio, Larkin was yelling for him to drive and not take the 3. In that situation, driving the ball puts pressure on the defense which hopefully leads to either a made shot or a foul on the defense. But I don’t really think that is part of his skill set. He’s not the type of player that drives and is seeking contact, looking to get to the line. I don’t see that changing either. I really don’t see that X has a player to will do that either. I certainly wish they did.

Perhaps Carter, who is an excellent FT shooter, can be that player?

This team has the talent, depth and experience to win 25+ games this year. To me it will come down to taking better care of the ball and making better decisions. Its really as simple as that. We gave up 14 points to UCONN off TO's.........simply cant do that and win a lot of close games. And we will have a lot of close games this year........

Sophomore
    Am I the only one who has a problem with the last possession of Double OT? At first, I thought it was a brilliantly designed play to give Carter a huge lane to let him make a play. But, Steele said afterwards the plan was for Carter to kick to Bishop for a 3 if he wasn't fouled. Huh? I think he can be a nice player for us, but Bishop is probably the worst shooter on the team right now.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    Am I the only one who has a problem with the last possession of Double OT? At first, I thought it was a brilliantly designed play to give Carter a huge lane to let him make a play. But, Steele said afterwards the plan was for Carter to kick to Bishop for a 3 if he wasn't fouled. Huh? I think he can be a nice player for us, but Bishop is probably the worst shooter on the team right now.
    He didn’t say that was the plan. He said he designed it to get him a drive to the hoop. He was just saying that that’s what carter decided to do, which luckily he was fouled because I have no faith Dan was hitting that

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    On the radio, Larkin was yelling for him to drive and not take the 3. In that situation, driving the ball puts pressure on the defense which hopefully leads to either a made shot or a foul on the defense. But I don’t really think that is part of his skill set. He’s not the type of player that drives and is seeking contact, looking to get to the line. I don’t see that changing either. I really don’t see that X has a player to will do that either. I certainly wish they did.

Perhaps Carter, who is an excellent FT shooter, can be that player?
    Not if he finishes at the rim like he did against uconn

Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    I thought getting the ball to Carter was the right call (I agree with you overall). Considering who we had in the game, I wanted Carter to assert himself more in the double OT because in general I think he can cause matchup problems and no one else we had in the game can really create their own shot.

Besides, if he didn't who would. He was the only one left on the court that was reasonably dependable to do so. Travis said they were playing with three bigs and two wings at the end.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I thought getting the ball to Carter was the right call (I agree with you overall). Considering who we had in the game, I wanted Carter to assert himself more in the double OT because in general I think he can cause matchup problems and no one else we had in the game can really create their own shot.
    i thought it was a good call. tyrique was being doubled, so they used him to pull guys out of the lane and let carter drive. it worked well