Viewer's Guide to the Charleston Classic

Part of a bigger article at NBC Sports (Link)

MATCHUPS

• Miami vs. Missouri State
    • Florida vs. St. Joseph’s

• No. 18 Xavier vs. Towson
    • UConn vs. Buffalo

FAVORITE: Despite a fairly slow start to their season, Xavier has to be considered the favorite to win this event. The Musketeers are a long way away from hitting their ceiling – that’s what happens when you go through the first four games shooting 20.4 percent from three – but there is enough talent on this roster to figure it out if those shots start falling. Will three games in four days in beautiful Charleston, S.C., cure what ails them?

TEAM TO WATCH
    : No team in college basketball has been more disappointing through the first two weeks of the season that Florida. The core of the issue? Florida cannot shoot, they aren’t playing fast and their defense isn’t forcing turnovers which means they have to try and execute against a set defense. It’s a mess, but it is also fixable. Can they right the ship this week?

PLAYER TO WATCH: If there is one guy in this field that can put together three games of 25-plus points and carry a team to a tournament win, it is Chris Lykes of Miami. The 5-foot-7 point guard is one of the most entertaining players in the country and certainly deserving of more attention than he is currently receiving.

IDEAL TITLE GAME: In theory, the ideal title game would feature Florida and Xavier. They are the two most talented teams in the event. They are also two of the worst shooting teams in America right now. If this ends up being the final, they are going to need to replace the rims after the final.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Xavier is not the favorite to win this tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Xavier is not the favorite to win this tournament.
    Vegas wise or what? Wouldn't be crazy if X was favored over every other team in the field on a neutral floor.

I mean Florida has looked horrendous. UCONN actually looks feisty but hard to ignore getting destroyed by a bad St. Joe's, so it wouldn't surprise me if they lost to Buffalo. Is Miami good? Haven't heard anything from them in a few years.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Vegas wise or what? Wouldn't be crazy if X was favored over every other team in the field on a neutral floor.

I mean Florida has looked horrendous. UCONN actually looks feisty but hard to ignore getting destroyed by a bad St. Joe's, so it wouldn't surprise me if they lost to Buffalo. Is Miami good? Haven't heard anything from them in a few years.
    Lykes is good, the rest of the miami team isnt. I watched the Louisville-Miami game and outside of the first 5-7 minutes, it was smooth sailing for louisville on the road. Guess we will have a bit of a measuring stick here shortly when they play missouri state though.