Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Am i out of line?

There’s a short lull in the action, so felt it’s a good time to start this tread. I am interested in everybody’s option on something.

Some of us here frequent the Holy Land Big East site. I joined a short time ago hoping to get some inside info on the other BE teams and fan perspective.

A couple of months ago, xusandy started a thread there title “Nova still on top?” that coincided with some standard smack talk on other threads. I made no bones that X, having returned almost all of their key pieces + 2 top transfers and nice incoming class, should be top 1/2 in conference this year and was confused why almost all national pundits were picking Nova, having lost BOTH there senior leaders along with their heavy weighted production. I strongly pointed out that their returning roster is largely unproven and freshman reliant....posted something like “VU is being picked to win the league on name rec alone” referring to their obvious recent Championships.

Well all hell broke loose as a long standing Nova guy there immediately started to belittle our program and totally downplay our accomplishments. Then a group of his merry men jumped in and proceeded to continue the insults to the XAVIER PROGRAM, in the most disrespectful manor possible. You know, an endless barrage of Mid Major garbage...“that A10 flagship nothing but a BE ankle biter” etc.

I took issue and went on to defend our program and proud history by lashing back at the VU POSTERS...NOT THEIR PROGRAM. That’s a BIG DIFFERENCE! However I did say they LOOKED LIKE a half ass AAU team and pretty boys getting slapped around vs OSU, but they did!

Here’s the thing, a few of our board members here chimed in and basically disavowed me. One even saying I’m the kind of fan he can do without.....it’s almost like some don’t know when they’re being insulted. Sorry but these Nova snobs are just bunch of condescending dudes on a fan board. They’re an fan base with an entitled attitude. I for one as a PROUD XAVIER FAN will never be in a ring kissing mood.

WHAT SAY YOU?
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

All-Conference
    It's hard to pick a fight with a 3 time national champ when you haven't reached a Final Four yet.

If we're being honest, we're not what Villanova is. Not to mention, they have probably a top 5 respected coach. Wright is the real deal, and has provided a calming and high-level consistency that's quite impressive for a small private school in Pennsylvania pretty similar in size to Xavier.

I guess what I'm saying is, they deserve and have earned the benefit of the doubt. X has come a LONG way and that rise deserves respect, but Nova is what we're striving to be.

Picking a fight with Nova fans? Not the hill to die on. We’re essentially their Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Picking a fight with Nova fans? Not the hill to die on. We’re essentially their Dayton.
    True Dat.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sorry XUP, got to agree that Nova fans deserve to thump their chests. I'm sure there is a plethora of their fans that are used to owning the Big East so they see it as basically their site and see you (and Xavier in general) as an interloper. And there are always going to arrogant pricks ready to pounce on any semblance of opposition. I'm not sure the Dayton analogy fits, but if a cryer fan gets on here throwing down, I would probably be one of those assholes.

The one other thing to consider is - maybe they are feeling the heat and being a bit defensive.

Still, they've earned it.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Junior
    Ditto, you chose the wrong fight to pick. We're 4-0, but have pretty much looked like slop.

Ok, but to be clear, I am ONLY speaking of a proper response to Gumby & Co after their consistent "Mid Major" slander toward X. Can we all agree we've earned our way past that crap? Maybe I should have just stayed away from the keyboard....nah.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Sophomore
    As a current Philly resident, I have to agree that getting into a debate with Nova fans is ill-advised, even if you make valid points, have a decent argument, and are respectful. Think about it this way - most Villanova fans are also Eagles fans, except that they have 3 championships to their name, so they’re even more defensive, obnoxious, and ready to throw down. They act like they’re God’s gift to basketball, and although they’re often extremely haughty and disrespectful, it’s just not worth getting into a pissing match with them. They’ll pull you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    Last edited by Roach; 11-20-2019 at 07:47 PM.