Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Coach and Player Comments

I have been on board with everything Steele has said this year- I mean everything- until... he went and made the comment that he didn't care about the 3 point shots continually taken and missed... that he was only concerned about the turnovers.

Had Steele said he was MORE concerned about the turnovers, then sure, but he did not. Players shooting open shots just because they are open is a great idea only if the specific player taking that shot makes over 30% in practice. Unfortunately, we are talking about many players take those shots who have been shooting well below 30% in games and likely below 30% in practice.

One other observation: Sometimes it even looks as if some X players are so concerned about being behind the line when they shoot the 3 (from the new line) that they end up taking the shot several feet behind the line... and as a result the ball ends up clanking off of the front of the rim.
    Last edited by IM4X; 11-17-2019 at 01:00 AM.

I take it as the 3’s will eventually drop. Everybody is still getting use to the new distance. X def has serious issues but Steele must believe the shooting will get better. Let’s see how things go when Kentucky Jelly comes back. (KYKY)
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Now Kyky is a different story. If he is hitting 47% in practice like Steele mentioned, then by all means let the kid shoot it whenever. Some one who is consistently good is going to be more likely to take smarter shots... where they are not rushed... from the specific spots behind the arc they know they shoot it best.

I am pretty sure Steele is itching more than everyone to get him back. Still, there just feels like there is something more behind the bad shooting of thIs team than just the extra distance (though it is likely part of the issue). Some shots look rushed. Others are shot too far behind the line. Some strokes even look like they are being thrown with little follow through.

i would love to see the coaches go back and see exactly what if different about the games where Scruggs was shooting lights out last season. Maybe the lineup played a role in his rhythm. Maybe he shot the ball from the same few spots.

Is it possible Scruggs struggled to get in a rhythm and stay there when certain players are on the court. All I know is that Scruggs was a very good 3 point shooter for much of last season and there is no reason he shouldn’t be one this season.
    Last edited by IM4X; 11-17-2019 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Now Kyky is a different story. If he is hitting 47% in practice like Steele mentioned, then by all means let the kid shoot it whenever. Some one who is consistently good is going to be more likely to take smarter shots... where they are not rushed... from the specific spots behind the arc they know they shoot it best.

I am pretty sure Steele is itching more than everyone to get him back. Still, there just feels like there is something more behind the bad shooting of thIs team than just the extra distance (though it is likely part of the issue). Some shots look rushed. Others are shot too far behind the line. Some strokes even look like they are being thrown with little follow through.

i would love to see the coaches go back and see exactly what if different about the games where Scruggs was shooting lights out last season. Maybe the lineup played a role in his rhythm. Maybe he shot the ball from the same few spots.

Is it possible Scruggs struggled to get in a rhythm and stay there when certain players are on the court. All I know is that Scruggs was a very good 3 point shooter for much of last season and there is no reason he shouldn’t be one this season.
    Dee Davis would never shoot against UC or tournament teams

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    I take it as the 3’s will eventually drop. Everybody is still getting use to the new distance. X def has serious issues but Steele must believe the shooting will get better. Let’s see how things go when Kentucky Jelly comes back. (KYKY)
    Or maybe he's conceding that they won't, so why spend any time worrying about it.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    BTW: I see what you did there.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

How much of the low 3PT% is due to the added pressure of knowing this is an area where they can potentially struggle - pressure from media and fans?

Steele has been right on, in my opinion, emphasizing taking good shots, catching with 2 hands, ... concrete things that by themselves allow for better success. A couple of years ago, fans were down on the free throw shooting and we had a miserable year in that area ... remember how quiet it got when Tyrique made a FT attempt? Give him lots of credit for improving in that area. The point is, the players hear the fans and the media ... Coach Steele's response is about doing the things that will make the team better and not about validating the obvious from critical fans. We got so much talent, there is no way we will be 344/353 in 3 pt shooting by the end of the season. I can't wait for this team to show us wrong, improve their shooting, and use all the other talents to really break through like they did at the end of last season.

On KenPom's blog earlier this summer is a study that concludes the following ... for a close game at half-time, the most telling statistic for the eventual outcome is that the team with the "Lowest 3PT%" has the best chance of winning. Sounds contradictory, but an interesting read.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Yeah I get what Steele is trying to say but think hes kidding himself if he doesnt truly have an issue with any of the 3 point shots being taken and by whom.

Theres plenty of good looks that X has just missed that I would agree you keep taking them. But who is taking them has to be addressed I would think. Not every open 3 is a good look if you are no good at shooting.

I really think this team could be so much better served with Scruggs starting at PG and Goodin coming off the bench. I just dont think Steele would do that to Goodin. Mack sure as hell would. Steele is still a young coach so I know he has so much room to grow as a coach but I dont see that killer win at all costs mentality in him yet that we did in Mack. I know we didnt see that in Mack in the beginning either.

I think Mack would have already benched Goodin (still played, just removed from starting lineup) but, enough about Judas. I think Steele is going to be a really good coach, just wish he seemed to have total control over the team a little more than it does at times.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

"Yeah, I don’t care about 3-point shots. I don’t care. I don’t flinch. We’re going to take those all night long. I do not care. What I do care about is the turnovers."

Mick Cronin Lite doesn't flinch at bricking 20 threes a game. What a leader. He does not care. He is the Honey Badger of Big East coaches.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Xavier's 3PA/FGA ratio currently sits at 196th in the country. Last year (in a top 50 offense) Xavier's ratio was nearly identical and slotted into 207th in the country.

Even if we ignore the obvious impact passing up good looks from three has on the rest of the offense (this seems to be the position of everyone arguing X should stop shooting) - where does this ratio need to be for people to be happy?

Honestly, do people want to see more long twos or low efficient post ups?
    Last edited by AviatorX; 11-17-2019 at 09:19 AM.