Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueGuy View Post
    Does anyone have Hulu? It seems very similar to YouTube. My Samsung TV has a built in Hulu app, but not a YouTubeTV app. I just read that Netflix is adding Nickelodeon content. It seems I should be able to get YouTubeTV or Hulu, and Netflix and save almost $100/month.

We currently have the sports package, and HBO/showtime/STARZ. We originally had DirecTV here (NY) so we could watch the Bengals. I got sick of watching the Bengals suck. Without the NFL ticket, we are. Ow cable free agents. Switching to one of these other options is a no brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My buddy next door has hulu live and I have youtubetv. I first bought youtube tv over hulu because of the unlimited DVR but I am a few months in and it hasnt mattered. I dont think you can go wrong with either one...channels are all pretty much the same at this point.

All I wish is that I had not dealt with uverse and their price gouging for so long.

One thing I will mention but have no clue if this is true or not but i did hewr or read somewhere that the built in tv apps dont run as smoothly as from a device such as roku, firestick etc. Now that could have come from the president of roku I dont remember but just thought I'd share that tidbit.
    Last edited by Xville; 11-13-2019 at 01:23 PM.

The DVR function on YouTubeTV is a huge deal in our house. We all keep very different schedules, so TV time isn't always together. We still watch a lot of the same shows, though.

I've gotten to where I often watch basketball games an hour or so late, so I can forward through the commercials. I try to avoid commercials as much as possible. Instead of using my ROKU for the stream, I bought a tiny Windows PC that I hook to the TV. With an ad blocker in Chrome, I can even block many of the ads YouTubeTV tries to push you on the DVR content. They somehow save a version of the show different from the live broadcast and insert their own ads. I avoid all of that!

But YouTubeTV on ROKU is much easier to use, I find, than Sling or PSVue was when I tried those. I hear people complement Hulu, but haven't tried that as YouTubeTV has been working well. It was great during the summer to watch some of the Big East and NCAA tournament games again to get my fix.

I have had Hulu Live TV since April. Really like it. Only annoyance is that you have to scroll through all the channels to change channels. Hulu has a recently viewed channels tab as well. Perfect example was last night. Near the end of the X game, when the UK score near the end of the game flashed on screen, my son asked me to flip it over really quickly to see the last few seconds of the game. Scrolling from CBSSN to SEC Network was unfortunately not something that be done quickly like with cable or Directv.

But at $45.99 per month, I feel like an idiot for not switching long ago. The only channel I noticed that I didn’t get that was on cable was AMC. And I haven’t missed it in the least.

Tons of sports channels and I will get all X games.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    I have had Hulu Live TV since April. Really like it. Only annoyance is that you have to scroll through all the channels to change channels. Hulu has a recently viewed channels tab as well. Perfect example was last night. Near the end of the X game, when the UK score near the end of the game flashed on screen, my son asked me to flip it over really quickly to see the last few seconds of the game. Scrolling from CBSSN to SEC Network was unfortunately not something that be done quickly like with cable or Directv.

But at $45.99 per month, I feel like an idiot for not switching long ago. The only channel I noticed that I didn’t get that was on cable was AMC. And I haven’t missed it in the least.

Tons of sports channels and I will get all X games.
    With YouTubeTV you can set up custom channel listings so you are not wading through channels you don't care about. Maybe Hulu allows for that? It isn't like switching a channel normally, but I guess that's progress. ;)

Since I only watch live TV with sports, I have all the sports channels on a custom list and it's fast.

All the network shows we watch regularly I just program into the DVR and never bother to look at their listing.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    They somehow save a version of the show different from the live broadcast and insert their own ads. I avoid all of that!
    Certain shows switch to the "on demand" showing after the next day. If you watched those shows the same day (just later in the evening) then they would have normal commercials you could fast forward through.

I think doing it that way allows the unlimited DVR.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I have been wanting to pull the plug on cable for a while but have gotten way to comfortable (see: lazy) with my fioptics and all, plus, the son works for CB - not that he gets a kickback or anything. But y'all have inspired me, as you so often do, to make the move (I am almost certain to have a warm, fuzzy, tingly feeling all over - up and down my leg, even, by this time tomorrow....I'll keep you posted....please stand by).
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

So all TV's must be a smart TV's or have a streaming device? Is it that simple? What about internet speed? Assuming you need to beef that up some.

Anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    So all TV's must be a smart TV's or have a streaming device? Is it that simple? What about internet speed? Assuming you need to beef that up some.

Anything else?
    Google is your friend. https://clark.com/technology/tvsatel...wnload-speeds/

I think all of them have a Streaming app, or you can use them on a computer.

Sling, and a few brick and mortar stores (Best Buy, etc) have offered deals in the past for "smart sticks" (if you have an HDMI input, you can turn any tv into a smart tv). My personal experience? Have one smart tv, and two non-smart tvs equipped with "freebie" sticks (off holiday deals) located in "entertainment room", and kitchen.

Look for deals around Christmas. A few firesticks (Amazon) have failed me, but Roku has been rock solid.

I'm also going to give an A+++ to Roku and Hulu (just signed up), it looks like the package includes FSN, FS1, FS2, ESPN, ESPN2, CBSSN, and ACCN. Which means I can watch every X game this season.

I don't watch much tv outside of X basketball, so I'm sure mileage may vary.
    Last edited by tacopizza885; 11-13-2019 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    With YouTubeTV you can set up custom channel listings so you are not wading through channels you don't care about. Maybe Hulu allows for that? It isn't like switching a channel normally, but I guess that's progress. ;)

Since I only watch live TV with sports, I have all the sports channels on a custom list and it's fast.

All the network shows we watch regularly I just program into the DVR and never bother to look at their listing.
    You can do that on Hulu Live too. They have just sports channel tabs. I wasn’t smart enough to do it. And the SEC Network will never make my favorites. But again, at 45.99 per month, I feel like a gigantic dumbass for not switching a lot sooner. It is so worth it.