Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

I want to “cut the cord”, and ditch DirecTV

Other than kid stuff (Nick, Nick JR, Disney, Dis JR) and sports, we hardly watch TV. I’m looking for advice on what services are best for our needs.

We watch the NHL on on Wed nights, and the NHL playoffs, the occasional baseball game, and football.

Obviously, we need 100% of the Xavier games. That’s priority #1.

What is everyone’s opinion/suggestion for services best to be able to get the sports, kid stuff, and X games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tim Hardaway hates Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGuy View Post
    Other than kid stuff (Nick, Nick JR, Disney, Dis JR) and sports, we hardly watch TV. I’m looking for advice on what services are best for our needs.

We watch the NHL on on Wed nights, and the NHL playoffs, the occasional baseball game, and football.

Obviously, we need 100% of the Xavier games. That’s priority #1.

What is everyone’s opinion/suggestion for services best to be able to get the sports, kid stuff, and X games?

I just cancelled DirecTV last week and signed up for YoutubeTV. You can check out the channel lineup on their website (all main sports channels and kid channels are included) and you get unlimited DVR. I'm really happy with it so far.

YouTubeTV has all Xavier basketball and college football. I activate it before football starts and suspend after basketball ends. You get your regional sports stations. It is an app on our smart TV so it is easy to access. $49.99 per month.

Minor quibble is that it is not as easy to flip between all the games on a football Saturday.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I cut DirecTV last March and got YoutubeTV. I know it has several kids stations, not sure which ones, but it has every sports station I want (it has NBC sports which I think has the hockey right?) and unlimited DVR.

The unlimited DVR was big for us because we take forever to watch things and it all builds up, a lot of the others had limited space. Also it had all the local stations (CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC) which I found not all the streaming services had.

My number one reason for waiting so long to cut the cord was live sports but when I looked into it I was able to get everything I wanted with YoutubeTV.

FYI I read PS Vue is stopping live TV streaming next year, so dont get that.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    YouTubeTV has all Xavier basketball and college football. I activate it before football starts and suspend after basketball ends. You get your regional sports stations. It is an app on our smart TV so it is easy to access. $49.99 per month.

Minor quibble is that it is not as easy to flip between all the games on a football Saturday.
    I thought this too, but discovered recently you could go easily between two (or more stations) that you had been watching recently by pressing the down arrow on your remote when watching something and it will bring up the last several stations you had watch to easily flip between them.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I originally left DirecTV for Sling. I didn't like the performance. I then switched to DirecTV Now, which became ATT TV Now. That was ok but mainly because of bundling and discounts I had it a very cheap price including to HBO. I have now switched to YouTube TV and I think it's the best of the bunch. Here is a comparison I put together when I was comparing them. It might be slightly outdated by now. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk
    I have a podcast. Sometimes we talk about Xavier: You. Me. Cincy.
    I put the X in Texas. @fleckd.

Thanks for the input so far. Sounds like YouTubeTV is a popular choice here. I’ll start looking into that.

I’ve been using YouTubetv for about two weeks since VUE got out of the TV business. I loved PSVUE and I believe YouTubeTv is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGuy View Post
    Thanks for the input so far. Sounds like YouTubeTV is a popular choice here. I’ll start looking into that.

Love youtubeTV. It does not have any of the Nickelodeon channels though.

I want to “cut the cord”, and ditch DirecTV

Does anyone have Hulu? It seems very similar to YouTube. My Samsung TV has a built in Hulu app, but not a YouTubeTV app. I just read that Netflix is adding Nickelodeon content. It seems I should be able to get YouTubeTV or Hulu, and Netflix and save almost $100/month.

We currently have the sports package, and HBO/showtime/STARZ. We originally had DirecTV here (NY) so we could watch the Bengals. I got sick of watching the Bengals suck. Without the NFL ticket, we are. Ow cable free agents. Switching to one of these other options is a no brainer.