Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I've been saying this for the last year.....Scruggs and Q aren't complimentary players to each other. I see them as basically the same player with Scruggs having a bit more offensive prowess than Q. I don't know why they cant seem to figure out how to play off each other, but they don't most of the time.

Alpha Dog.....we don't have one unless that's Marshall. He seems to want to be that, but most of the time goes schoolyard when trying to make a play.

Hoping KyKy can change some of this.........b/c something has to give.
    No doubt KyKy's minutes will likely be in relief of Q and Scruggs, so should see less of them on the court together. Hopefully that works out, but last year I think you can make a credible argument that whether they work well together or not, you'd rather have them both out there than the alternative (more Harden or Castlin, I guess?).

All-Conference
    It just seems Q, Scruggs, and Naji should gel more after playing 3-4 years together. That part is the most puzzling to me. None of them seem to be on the same page with each other on the court. They seem to like each other though.

With this much tenure, it still shouldn't be an issue. But they seem just as out of sync as the young guys (maybe even worse at times). And honestly, I don't know that the young guys really look that out of sync. Freemantle, Carter, and Moore have all had their share of bright spots.
    Last edited by drudy23; 11-13-2019 at 12:35 PM.

If Moore is our 2nd best 3 pt. shooter, why not give him more shots? He has only taken 8 and made 3 of them. He has a very pretty shot from the top of the key. We need to run some plays for this guy. Shot 39% @ WMU with a ACL tear. Who do we want to take these shots? Q or Bryce?
    Last edited by bobbiemcgee; 11-13-2019 at 01:09 PM.
    2023 Sweet 16

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    And who's team is this? Who's the top dog? Could be Naji or Scruggs - but one of them has to take it. Who's the junk yard dog that gets a bucket when we need it? My money is on Scruggs.

Did you ever question if it was Tu's team? or Tre's team? Or Dwest's team?

If they're not careful, KyKy's gonna make it his team. He won't care.
    Yeah this.

I am usually a very optimistic XU fan. But I cant ever remember a time in my fandom having less confidence in the go to player to really get a bucket when the team needs one. I am not even positive of who that player is, I think it is Naji. But again not a lot of confidence in that happening.

Big shot last night, huge he made it, but do you have great confidence in him or another players hitting that 3 at the end or driving to the hoop at the end to get that bucket we need right now? I hope we get there but I am not there now.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

On the other hand....since there isn’t any ONE player that teams might feel they need to prepare for, they need to prepare for anything and anyone. That can be and advantage if played right.

I mean, seriously, did ANYONE see that play where Naji hits the 3 coming?
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 11-13-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    On the other hand....since there isn’t any ONE player that teams might feel they need to prepare for, they need to prepare for anything and anyone. That can be and advantage if played right.

I think everyone saw him shooting coming (I think he leads the team in 3 point attempts). The going in part definitely could not have been predicted.

3rd game of the season.

First real test. And against a very big, athletic team that performs well on the D end.

Yes, we aren't shooting effectively or anywhere close to where we need to be. Yes, the offense isn't fluid in general.

BUT, I remember our first year coach pulling them together towards the end of the season - - we have a solid coach. NO, he isn't going to be like the YTG.

Bottomline: [1] It's early; [2] They gutted out a tough win last night; and [3] We aren't even at full strength.

Travis will clean this up. Hopefully, the shooting will get better. It has nowhere to go but to get better, and I believe they'll find their confidence and their range.

Long way to go gents.
    X A V I E R

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post

See we had this legitimately on the 07-08 team. (Probably others but they come to mind).

I dont feel that way with this team at all. Not saying I wont eventually this season but dont right now.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Lots of past X teams would have folded last night and lost. This team was calm and cool. They found a way to dig in and win.
    Solid play. Lots of newcomers are not knowng their role. They will find an identity as games go on. Long way to go.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Lots of past X teams would have folded last night and lost. This team was calm and cool. They found a way to dig in and win.
    Solid play. Lots of newcomers are not knowng their role. They will find an identity as games go on. Long way to go.
    Actually I am pretty impressed by Freemantle and Carter seeming to know exactly what their roles are.