Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Freshman
    That was ugly for sure but I'll take the win and assume shooting improves. Plus, Evansville beat Kentucky, Auburn won on a third tip against South Alabama and Butler still plays in some sort of meat packing warehouse so things could be worse for a Tuesday in early December.

I love Hinkle never hate on Hinkle. X has major issues. We are going to have a long year of shooting doesn’t get better fast. KYKY can’t get here fast enough.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Can you imagine how good Trevon Bluiett and JP Macura’s senior year would have been if they were capable of playing 1/2 as good defense as this current Musketeers team? Those Final Four teams were all top 20 in defensive efficiency. Travis believes X can be top 25 in defense this year. KyKy is the best 3 point shooter at 47% in practice but it’s going to take him at least a month to get healthy and game ready. Defense carries. BE now has 1 loss(Creighton lost at Michigan)
    You can relax on that defense cry just now. The advanced stats show we're improved over last season but not really that great at the moment. Work in progress.

The only stat that really counts is 3-0.

The only other stat that comes close is 59.3....which is the average # of points that X has given up in those 3 wins.

There are other stats that cause concern...shooting % numbers and turnovers especially....and those things are areas that can be improved.

Steele gives every indication in his pre and post game comments that he is aware of the need for improvement in those areas and that he feels that the team WILL improve in those areas.

But they are still 3-0 and the players are playing hard every minute of every game....there is nothing to fault in those two things.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    I love Hinkle never hate on Hinkle. X has major issues. We are going to have a long year of shooting doesn’t get better fast. KYKY can’t get here fast enough.
    And, Butler shoots far, far better in Hinkle than X does at Cintas. Give Naji credit for having the stones to take that three near the end of regulation. Loved the first half defensive effort but, it seemed less effective in half two. Haven't seen stats; that was just the eyeball test. Anybody have some analysis of the two halves of D? X is going to need great defensive efforts this season. If we shoot this bad at home...……….oh brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    And, Butler shoots far, far better in Hinkle than X does at Cintas. Give Naji credit for having the stones to take that three near the end of regulation. Loved the first half defensive effort but, it seemed less effective in half two. Haven't seen stats; that was just the eyeball test. Anybody have some analysis of the two halves of D? X is going to need great defensive efforts this season. If we shoot this bad at home...……….oh brother.
    X kept Mo scoreless for long stretches of the 1st half...once for 10 minutes and another time for almost 5. But in the 2nd half, that was turned around and Mo kept X scoreless for long stretches. Mo also hit some 3-pointers and many more open shots in the 2nd half as the defense struggled and/or MO figured it out. Almost a tail of 2 half’s.

All-Conference
    The defense was great in spurts, and frankly, very lazy in spurts. The uncontested dunk at the end of the game was unacceptable. Terrible on the ball defense where the defender completely gave up as the defender passed him, and not one of the 4 help side defenders even realized it happened. None had a clue where the ball was. That wasn't good.

When they're locked in, they play good D. The problem with this core (Q, Naji, Scruggs, and Big Ty) is that they tend to settle in and relax too often. They're almost too laid back. They are the leaders and need to show consistent defensive effort for the whole 40 minutes. Set that example for the young guys to make them better. I'm guessing that type of stuff drives Steele crazy.

Give Naji credit for having the stones to take that three near the end of regulation.
    I guess. He was 2 for 16 for the season before taking that shot. Glad it went in, of course, but it probably didn't make sense for him to have the "stones" to take that shot. I don't mind Naji or Q taking open, in-rhythm threes even if they're not great shooters. It just seems that both guys take so many forced threes outside the flow of the offense. The kind of shots you don't mind GOOD shooters taking, but they're not good shooters.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I guess. He was 2 for 16 for the season before taking that shot. Glad it went in, of course, but it probably didn't make sense for him to have the "stones" to take that shot. I don't mind Naji or Q taking open, in-rhythm threes even if they're not great shooters. It just seems that both guys take so many forced threes outside the flow of the offense. The kind of shots you don't mind GOOD shooters taking, but they're not good shooters.
    That was a play run for naji to take a three. So steele drew it up for 15% shooter. Just thank the lord he made it

Sophomore
    And, Butler shoots far, far better in Hinkle than X does at Cintas.
    Historically, we shot a lot better in cincy as than on the road. Not sure it makes a difference with this team though