Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    You can relax on that defense cry just now. The advanced stats show we're improved over last season but not really that great at the moment. Work in progress.
    What advanced stats are you looking at? Every metric I look at has us playing very good defense. Top 25 defense

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    The defense was great in spurts, and frankly, very lazy in spurts. The uncontested dunk at the end of the game was unacceptable. Terrible on the ball defense where the defender completely gave up as the defender passed him, and not one of the 4 help side defenders even realized it happened. None had a clue where the ball was. That wasn't good.

When they're locked in, they play good D. The problem with this core (Q, Naji, Scruggs, and Big Ty) is that they tend to settle in and relax too often. They're almost too laid back. They are the leaders and need to show consistent defensive effort for the whole 40 minutes. Set that example for the young guys to make them better. I'm guessing that type of stuff drives Steele crazy.
    Can we add Stanley Burrell to the coaching staff as defensive coordinator?!
    Veritas vos Liberabit

All-Conference
    And who's team is this? Who's the top dog? Could be Naji or Scruggs - but one of them has to take it. Who's the junk yard dog that gets a bucket when we need it? My money is on Scruggs.

Did you ever question if it was Tu's team? or Tre's team? Or Dwest's team?

If they're not careful, KyKy's gonna make it his team. He won't care.
    Last edited by drudy23; 11-13-2019 at 08:39 AM.

We're going to be better if it's Scruggs's team. But from what I can see (just from watching from afar on TV), personality-wise Naji has a greater desire for it to be HIS team.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Ugly game, for sure. Like a Cronin coached team. But I do believe that we will shoot the ball better. In the warm-ups, they hardly missed anything from outside. And to our credit, most of the threes we took were wide open. Now perhaps they were giving us that shot because we stunk up the place so much. But if they were, it made it that much harder to work the ball inside. A few made threes will do our offense a world of good.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    travis in his radio show "kyky's our best shooter... by far"
    Not that that says much but it is encouraging to hear we have a shooter in the waiting. Hope he gets healthy in a hurry.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by KabeX View Post
    Ugly and I mean UGLY win or escape or whatever you want to call it. I was as frustrated as all of you. I am repeatedly saying to myself .. "Yes, it's NOVEMBER. It's still NOVEMBER! Thank the Lord above. And yes, I had an extra victory/escape beer.

Onward!
    This!
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    After the misery of last season, I'm not assigning style points and/or questioning wins. We'll take all we can get.

20% from deep on the season. Surely that cannot continue.
    Agree, get W's and hope to improve.

And lets hop KyKy can add some shooting to this team when he returns. I have no idea if he will but I am holding out hope!

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    X kept Mo scoreless for long stretches of the 1st half...once for 10 minutes and another time for almost 5. But in the 2nd half, that was turned around and Mo kept X scoreless for long stretches. Mo also hit some 3-pointers and many more open shots in the 2nd half as the defense struggled and/or MO figured it out. Almost a tail of 2 half’s.
    Missouri scored 0.72 points per possession. You're going to have a difficult time finding a better XU defensive effort than that.

I've been saying this for the last year.....Scruggs and Q aren't complimentary players to each other. I see them as basically the same player with Scruggs having a bit more offensive prowess than Q. I don't know why they cant seem to figure out how to play off each other, but they don't most of the time.

Alpha Dog.....we don't have one unless that's Marshall. He seems to want to be that, but most of the time goes schoolyard when trying to make a play.

Hoping KyKy can change some of this.........b/c something has to give.