Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    While I get Steele looking at players like Farr and Love’s first year and thinking redshirting Miles might be the way to go, he might also want to weigh how even that little bit of playing time those two had likely helped their confidence for their next year... and he might want to keep in mind that next year there will be no big with more than one year of experience playing for X... which is a bit of a different situation from Farr and Love’s.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    While I get Steele looking at players like Farr and Love’s first year and thinking redshirting Miles might be the way to go, he might also want to weigh how even that little bit of playing time those two had likely helped their confidence for their next year... and he might want to keep in mind that next year there will be no big with more than one year of experience playing for X... which is a bit of a different situation from Farr and Love’s.
    Miles will be practicing all year with the team. Getting a few minutes at garbage time in a handful of games isn't going to do much for him.

If he's not physically ready to play... which sounds like the motivation in this instance, then there's a real possibility of injury. I'm with you all on the pros and cons, but Steele is very honest with his players. It definitely sounds like this has the blessing of player and parents though. And yeah, he can go on the court and any time, but if that happens then obviously year 1 of eligibility is gone (baring a medical redshirt).
    I have complete faith in coach Steele and Co.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Miles will be practicing all year with the team. Getting a few minutes at garbage time in a handful of games isn't going to do much for him.
    If it’s only garbage time we’re talking about, I would agree not to use him.

If he is not looking ready in practice... same.

If he does look solid in practice and it comes down to saving a year of eligibility despite showing clear evidence he can really help the team, let him play (and I believe Steele would likely reevaluate the situation if it got to that point).
    Last edited by IM4X; 11-07-2019 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    If it simply is garbage time he be playing, I would completely agree not to use him.

If he is not looking ready in practice... same.

If it comes down to saving a year of eligibility despite showing clear evidence he can really help the team, let him play (and I believe Steele would likely reevaluate the situation if it got to that point).
    If there was clear evidence that he could help the team this year, they wouldn't be announcing his redshirt after the first game. It apparently is clear to the staff that he can't help the team this year.

I don’t really see much reason to announce a redshirt after 1 game. Then again I don’t see much value to the individual redshirting unless he is so raw and it is inevitable he will play college ball for a 5th year. I also don’t buy that he is not physically ready as this isn’t the NBA. Just my opinion and I hope this works out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    If there was clear evidence that he could help the team this year, they wouldn't be announcing his redshirt after the first game. It apparently is clear to the staff that he can't help the team this year.
    Actually, Steele specifically mentions that he believes Miles can help the team this year at about the 4 minute mark, during the Jacksonville post press conference.

I trust Steele was sincere about that comment, but at the same time feels he needs to have Miles and his family officially prepared that he is likely not playing (and will save his year of eligibility) unless he is absolutely needed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wPAhFwKd3rQ

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    All that is true, but do the players want to stay in college that extra time? Some do, most don't.

Unless he's injured, Miles is going to be working to improve himself one way or another, so it's kind of a shame that he's not trusted enough at this point to give him a chance to show something in a game. From the team management perspective, it's really good to have one more big in practice helping balance out the competition. And Steele theoretically has one more year with someone manning the inside, should recruiting not turn out as he hopes. (The real reason IMO.)

From the player perspective it has to be really deflating to your progress. The work a D1 athlete has to put in is considerable and not having games as that reward makes it that much more of a slog. Hopefully he really enjoys school and sets some goals towards using that extra year to try and get a graduate degree. But a guy at his size is probably having fantasies of playing more, not less. I hope he hangs in there. It's probably good that his family support system is nearby.
    This is my concern. How many guys these days who have any pro prospects (not just NBA) want to stick around for the 5th year?

Jalen left with time left, Kaiser did as well, I think a lot think this may be Scruggs and Naji's last year.

Seems more and more guys want to get to making money right away and will forgo a year of eligibility to do that, even if they know the NBA isnt the likely landing place.
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 11-07-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    This is my concern. How many guys these days who have any pro prospects (not just NBA) want to stick around for the 5th year?

Jalen left with time left, Kaiser did as well, I think a lot think this may be Scruggs and Naji's last year.

Seems more and more guys want to get to making money right away and will forgo a year of eligibility to do that, even if they know the NBA isnt the likely landing place.
    It’s a new world in the land of college basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by jhelmes37 View Post
    Yes to Love and Farr.

Jalen left with a year of eligibility still there.

Granted he was 23 or something.

Kenny started out of the shoot...
    Agree, Kenny was a Top 60 player coming out of HS. You don't redshirt that type of recruit.

I'm usually against redshirting, but I do think in this case, it could really benefit Miles and Xavier.