Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

D. Miles to Redshirt

Per Shannon on Twitter (Link)

Asked @
    DieonteMiles
    then about potentially redshirting. Miles: “I’m just going to buy into whatever (Coach) tells me. Me personally, I wouldn’t mind being redshirted just to give me another year to get stronger. But honestly, at the end of the day, it’s all up to Coach."
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Even with that statement from Steele, I hope he still is open to the possibility of Miles playing this season. I get redshirting if the coaches feel that at least two bigs (other than Tyrique) are playing really well all season.

Steele’s gonna want to make sure he has enough battle-tested bigs (outside of Carter) ready to play when Tyrique is gone. Wouldn’t be completely surprised if Steele decided later in the season he needs Miles in certain situations.

Sounds like he's taking it well. Steele has said that in his history there were a number of examples where a big man did not red shirt and by the time they had used up their final year of eligibility it was evident that they could have owned their position in the league had they been around another year. Look at Jalen Reynolds, Jason Love, James Farr, Kenny Frease and so many others. Each one played a very limited roll their freshman year and were largely out muscled and didn't effectively grasp the defensive schemes until year 2 or 3.
    I have complete faith in coach Steele and Co.

All that is true, but do the players want to stay in college that extra time? Some do, most don't.

Unless he's injured, Miles is going to be working to improve himself one way or another, so it's kind of a shame that he's not trusted enough at this point to give him a chance to show something in a game. From the team management perspective, it's really good to have one more big in practice helping balance out the competition. And Steele theoretically has one more year with someone manning the inside, should recruiting not turn out as he hopes. (The real reason IMO.)

From the player perspective it has to be really deflating to your progress. The work a D1 athlete has to put in is considerable and not having games as that reward makes it that much more of a slog. Hopefully he really enjoys school and sets some goals towards using that extra year to try and get a graduate degree. But a guy at his size is probably having fantasies of playing more, not less. I hope he hangs in there. It's probably good that his family support system is nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    All that is true, but do the players want to stay in college that extra time? Some do, most don't.

Unless he's injured, Miles is going to be working to improve himself one way or another, so it's kind of a shame that he's not trusted enough at this point to give him a chance to show something in a game. From the team management perspective, it's really good to have one more big in practice helping balance out the competition. And Steele theoretically has one more year with someone manning the inside, should recruiting not turn out as he hopes. (The real reason IMO.)

From the player perspective it has to be really deflating to your progress. The work a D1 athlete has to put in is considerable and not having games as that reward makes it that much more of a slog. Hopefully he really enjoys school and sets some goals towards using that extra year to try and get a graduate degree. But a guy at his size is probably having fantasies of playing more, not less. I hope he hangs in there. It's probably good that his family support system is nearby.
    It’s not good business to force a redshirt on someone and that’s certainly not what happened here. Obviously it’s no one’s first choice not to play, but you can be very confident that Miles/his family are very much on board with this plan, or else it wouldn’t have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    It’s not good business to force a redshirt on someone and that’s certainly not what happened here. Obviously it’s no one’s first choice not to play, but you can be very confident that Miles/his family are very much on board with this plan, or else it wouldn’t have happened.
    The Love, Farr, and O'Mara examples are good evidence for Miles as to why he should redshirt. "You can play 50-75 minutes this year, most of it during garbage time, or you can come back as a fifth year senior and play 20-30 minutes a game."

Quote Originally Posted by surfxu View Post
    Sounds like he's taking it well. Steele has said that in his history there were a number of examples where a big man did not red shirt and by the time they had used up their final year of eligibility it was evident that they could have owned their position in the league had they been around another year. Look at Jalen Reynolds, Jason Love, James Farr, Kenny Frease and so many others. Each one played a very limited roll their freshman year and were largely out muscled and didn't effectively grasp the defensive schemes until year 2 or 3.
    Yes to Love and Farr.

Jalen left with a year of eligibility still there.

Granted he was 23 or something.

Kenny started out of the shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by jhelmes37 View Post
    Yes to Love and Farr.

Jalen left with a year of eligibility still there.

Granted he was 23 or something.

Kenny started out of the shoot...
    Not to mention Reynolds also sat a year for academics.

Makes sense ..... if we need him for some reason mid way through the year, I assume he can play at that point?