Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    It seems that 99% of what is posted here postgame is about the offense. No doubt that Marshall is not making enough 3 pointers and should probably be taking less of them.

But I’m going to complement the defense. There was only 1-2 times during the whole game where we saw a Siena player shoot a wide open shot. If X keeps playing defense like this they are going to be in every game the whole year, and are going to win the vast majority of them. I’m also encouraged with the depth. Having the depth to play 8-10 players and not have a significant drop off will give X the ability to apply that defensive pressure throughout a whole game and still allow key players to get some rest. Finally, playing good defense, and limiting the points allowed means that X doesn’t have to be perfect on offense in order to win. A refreshing change from some of the recent past teams where the emphasis seemed to be on just out scoring the opposition by playing offense and defense be damned.
    Good points. The defense does continue to look good.

Back to the offense... and some of the positives there...

1. FT shooting got better (even Jones) - Naji, Moore and Freemantle all looked good - very encouraging - the team could end up being very solid from the line... so important.

2. they team played pretty well together and should they could score just fine even without a few key players (Scruggs and Kyky). Someone touched a bit on this above.

Big turnaround when Steele went to the press after a forgettable first 10 minutes.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    I think most teams are going to crowd the paint against us... we need shooters in the worst way. Wilcher is going to look like Steph Curry in our eyes if we continue to see the bricklaying on display!
    I'm hoping Moore can emerge as "that guy". He seems to have such a pure shot from the top of the key. Need to get him involved more.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    Freemantle (as promised by those that saw him play in high school) is the real deal. He has, it seems, a bright future ahead of him.
    I was one of those who saw him play in HS and while I thought he was very impressive, I did have one potential concern. I wonder if he would be able to hold his own early on against legit D1 bigs or be a little timid, since he going up against forwards no bigger than 6ft 6in in the games I saw.

I have to say, he has looked very impressive in that regard. Steele said he was showing great physicality in practice, but you never really know how that will translate when it’s a real game. Well, he is doing just fine. He is a pretty good free throw shooter too and will be huge in helping the team accumulate some much needed points there as well.
    Last edited by IM4X; 11-09-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Agree with GRAD80, defense looks solid for the most part. If we continue to improve in that area, we’ll steal a few wins here and there. Hard for me to gauge team on what we’re going to get from the offensive side this year (yes I’ve seen the good, bad and ugly). However, we’ve only seen our 5 starters on the court together for about 4 minutes in two games.

Moore looks like the real deal and as much as I liked Kyle, he is head and shoulders better in that position. Freemantle looks like he’s going to be a special player over time. Offensive and rebounding skills are there, but needs to get better on the defensive side. I can see a lot of potential in Bishop. Obviously his shot hasn’t been there, but really surprised about his rebounding. He was the second leading rebounder with 7 in both games.

Jones is still the MIP (Most Impressive Player) through two games IMO.
    Last edited by IM4X; 11-09-2019 at 02:38 PM.

For what its worth, our offense is higher ranked than our defense at this point per KenPom Adjusted O and Adjusted D

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Jones is still the MIP (Most Impressive Play) through two games IMO.
    Only Bryce Moore has a higher ORating (barely) but Jones is being used at over 28% of the possessions while Moore is between 12-16%. Long story short, your opinion is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    IMHO, this team has enough talent and depth to compete for a BE title. It's Achilles heel is its basketball IQ and making poor decisions at times. Clean that up some, and you will have a really good chance at having a great year.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded-05 View Post
    Siena’s non-conference schedule is interesting:

Xavier
    Harvard
    Yale
    Colgate
    Cal Poly
    Bucknell

Those were the exact schools that offered me full ride academic scholarships when I was in high school!
    Here is my list of the top 10 colleges that offered me a full ride academic scholarship when I was in high school: #1 Not recorded, #2 Not recorded, #3 Not recorded, Etc. Etc. Etc, Etc, Etc, Etc, Etc. Despite that I earned Second Honors at St. X H.S. in Cincinnati (and was damned lucky to eke that out)!