Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by muskienick View Post
    And our beloved Muskies look nothing like a Top 20 team either. However, after Paul, KyKy, and Daniel Ramsey return, I believe things will change for the better!
    we look fine

In the fourth day of action, the Big East continues it's undefeated run. Their record is now 18-0.

Wrapping up week one is something I notice from off the court: low attendance at many of these games, even for the teams with high national rankings. Only Marquette and Creighton got crowds larger than Xavier. I am wondering how you recruit better players to your school if they are comparing the atmosphere and thrill of playing in front of a big crowd to a room that's not drawing 2,000 when you're ranked #12 in the country.

- Georgetown does seem to be deeper across the bench, but the team is still a work in progress and is struggling to completely shut teams down. The good news was they scored a healthy 52 points in the first half. The bad news was Central Arkansas scored 42. Yurtseven continues to look like a badass with 17 pts, 15 reb, and 3 blocks. But the Bears did make a game of it.

- SJU blows out their opponent by 30, which is how much Mustapha Heron scored.

- Butler takes care of business early in strong fashion against a weaker team. Still dealing with a lot of nagging injuries there.

- Five minutes in, Seton Hall's Myles Powell has what they are calling a "serious' ankle sprain, and their team loses the half by a bucket. The second half was much different story. But I could see SHU's fortunes fading if Powell is out a long time.

- Providence dominates their game with big time defense and rebounding.
    Last edited by sirthought; 11-09-2019 at 09:38 PM.

If it makes you feel any better, Maryland is playing Rhode Island right now at home and their building is not exactly full.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, Maryland is playing Rhode Island right now at home and their building is not exactly full.
    Nope. Why would that make anyone feel better?

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Wrapping up week one is something I notice from off the court: low attendance at many of these games, even for the teams with high national rankings. Only Marquette and Creighton got crowds larger than Xavier. I am wondering how you recruit better players to your school if they are comparing the atmosphere and thrill of playing in front of a big crowd to a room that's not drawing 2,000 when you're ranked #12 in the country.
    Is this a comment on anyone besides seton hall? depaul's attendance has been bad but that's always been the case. everyone else i've seen has been packed. nova, butler, and st. john's all have smaller arenas than us.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Seton Hall had 2,000 fans because they were playing their buy games in their on-campus bandbox instead of the Prudential Center.

One can write about the early X games as sell outs but it is paid attendance. Several thousand stay home until UC game or BE schedule sadly.

In the fourth day of action, the Big East continues it's undefeated run. Their record is now 18-0.
    Look for this to end with the Powell injury with MSU this week.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Is this a comment on anyone besides seton hall? depaul's attendance has been bad but that's always been the case. everyone else i've seen has been packed. nova, butler, and st. john's all have smaller arenas than us.
    No, I meant overall. The expense just to put on a game is substantial. Travel cost, lodging, staff, facilities. If they aren't drawing more ticket sales it must be concerning. Not sure what you'd consider acceptable, but I'd want more than what's being listed. But even beyond the overhead, I'd be concerned about how the brand comes off on TV or to watching recruits. If you know sales are low for a game it's easy enough to give out tickets to a charity or school to fill the stands a bit more.

Sophomore
    No, I meant overall. The expense just to put on a game is substantial. Travel cost, lodging, staff, facilities. If they aren't drawing more ticket sales it must be concerning. Not sure what you'd consider acceptable, but I'd want more than what's being listed. But even beyond the overhead, I'd be concerned about how the brand comes off on TV or to watching recruits. If you know sales are low for a game it's easy enough to give out tickets to a charity or school to fill the stands a bit more.
    So you're talking about Depaul? lol. Depaul has to be losing money. Maybe the tv deal is enough to cover it