Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xavier University for College?

My wife and I both graduated from Xavier and my dad did as well. Our oldest is now a senior in high school and he has applied to several schools, with Xavier being one of them. He has been accepted into Xavier for the fall of 2020 (Class of 2024), which makes us happy and proud. Having said all that, the cost will be roughly 20 times that of the state school he also go accepted to this month.

We all love Xavier and Xavier basketball but does it make sense for him to take on debt to attend Xavier since it is 20 times the cost?

No.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    No.
    Sadly agree. Unless my kids get SIGNIFICANT scholarships, I would never suggest they go to Xavier (or pretty much any private school outside the Ivies/elites).

I think it depends on what they want to major in (is it available at both schools?). Also, having been an alumni chapter president, there are significant grants, scholarships, and aid available that can put Xavier in the ballpark of most state schools. Many alumni chapters have scholarships that frankly never get applied for most years. I'd speak to someone in admissions before you make a determination that it's really 10 times the cost. X levels the playing field quite a bit for students that qualify for certain programs.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I think it depends on what they want to major in (is it available at both schools?). Also, having been an alumni chapter president, there are significant grants, scholarships, and aid available that can put Xavier in the ballpark of most state schools. Many alumni chapters have scholarships that frankly never get applied for most years. I'd speak to someone in admissions before you make a determination that it's really 10 times the cost. X levels the playing field quite a bit for students that qualify for certain programs.
    We live in northern KY. He got $22,000 off per year based on his application. That still leaves roughly $20K in tuition costs. He can go to many state schools with tuition being around $1,000 or maybe $2000 per year based upon his GPA and ACT score, making Xavier roughly between 10 to 20 times more expensive.

Room and board is roughly double at XU than other in state options as well.

Nothing has been decided yet and won't be until late winter or early spring of 2020.

Agree with Muskie. We were in the same boat in 2016. Almost turned down our visit because of the cost and didn’t want to get my daughter too excited about the school (of course who wouldn’t- right).

We talked with admissions and found out scholarships and grants are much more plentiful for private. At the end of the day, we were able to pay less for X than OSU, UC, or Miami. This is not to mention how much less expensive it was vs out of state public schools.

Obviously, small school vs large is up to the individual - pluses and minuses for both.

There are very few cases where going to a certain school for an undergrad degree makes a difference. For the most part, the undergrad decision (assuming the school is an accredited institution of higher learning with the specific specialty of interest) should be a financial one whenever possible. Don't end up in debt for a Bachelor's degree. Spend money, if needed, for a grad program at a school that amplifies the interest of the student after their bachelor's program.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Sophomore
    FWIW, I went to Cincy Tech College for 2 years, rec'd an associates degree, transferred to XU and earned my BSBA in another two years - saved quite a bit of money taking that route.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    I believe that the most important factor in choosing between public and private (in addition to finances, of course) is the big school-small school issue. Some college students need smaller classes, access to faculty, and classes taught by faculty committed to teaching rather than research and not classes taught by graduate student TA's. If that is important for undergraduate success, I would STRONGLY recommend going the small school route meaning typically a private school. If, on the other hand, a college student is self-motivated enough to succeed even in large lecture hall classes, taught by TA's, and largely without much access to principal faculty, the large school (public) option probably makes more sense. But going to a public school to save money, only to fail because smaller classes are critical for success, doesn't save money at all.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven Eighths View Post
    We live in northern KY. He got $22,000 off per year based on his application. That still leaves roughly $20K in tuition costs. He can go to many state schools with tuition being around $1,000 or maybe $2000 per year based upon his GPA and ACT score, making Xavier roughly between 10 to 20 times more expensive.

Room and board is roughly double at XU than other in state options as well.

Nothing has been decided yet and won't be until late winter or early spring of 2020.
    I don't doubt you, but out of curiosity what schools have tuition of $1000 ? My kids went to X with substantial scholarships and grants 20+ years ago, but if it was today, they'd be headed somewhere else due to cost. BTW, tuition at X was over $1000 in 1969, 50 years ago.