Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
I believe that the most important factor in choosing between public and private (in addition to finances, of course) is the big school-small school issue. Some college students need smaller classes, access to faculty, and classes taught by faculty committed to teaching rather than research and not classes taught by graduate student TA's. If that is important for undergraduate success, I would STRONGLY recommend going the small school route meaning typically a private school. If, on the other hand, a college student is self-motivated enough to succeed even in large lecture hall classes, taught by TA's, and largely without much access to principal faculty, the large school (public) option probably makes more sense. But going to a public school to save money, only to fail because smaller classes are critical for success, doesn't save money at all.
Very good point X-man.

The other consideration, and it does matter, is "social fit". Is a particular student comfortable with 50,000+ friends in Columbus or do they prefer - and more likely thrive - in a smaller campus setting. Part of the educational experience is how one adapts to new people in a new environment. Do they make friends easily and end up forming a strong group/support system as a result, or are they inclined to coil back and be reclusive.

Our beginning experience at Xavier had us always falling back on the Brock and Mother Tuckers Tavern. I mean that literally. We learned to fall back together on the stale 3.2 Hudy beer that was on the floor by the early evening.