Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    I believe that the most important factor in choosing between public and private (in addition to finances, of course) is the big school-small school issue. Some college students need smaller classes, access to faculty, and classes taught by faculty committed to teaching rather than research and not classes taught by graduate student TA's. If that is important for undergraduate success, I would STRONGLY recommend going the small school route meaning typically a private school. If, on the other hand, a college student is self-motivated enough to succeed even in large lecture hall classes, taught by TA's, and largely without much access to principal faculty, the large school (public) option probably makes more sense. But going to a public school to save money, only to fail because smaller classes are critical for success, doesn't save money at all.
    Very good point X-man.

The other consideration, and it does matter, is "social fit". Is a particular student comfortable with 50,000+ friends in Columbus or do they prefer - and more likely thrive - in a smaller campus setting. Part of the educational experience is how one adapts to new people in a new environment. Do they make friends easily and end up forming a strong group/support system as a result, or are they inclined to coil back and be reclusive.

Our beginning experience at Xavier had us always falling back on the Brock and Mother Tuckers Tavern. I mean that literally. We learned to fall back together on the stale 3.2 Hudy beer that was on the floor by the early evening.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Very good point X-man.

The other consideration, and it does matter, is "social fit". Is a particular student comfortable with 50,000+ friends in Columbus or do they prefer - and more likely thrive - in a smaller campus setting. Part of the educational experience is how one adapts to new people in a new environment. Do they make friends easily and end up forming a strong group/support system as a result, or are they inclined to coil back and be reclusive.

Our beginning experience at Xavier had us always falling back on the Brock and Mother Tuckers Tavern. I mean that literally. We learned to fall back together on the stale 3.2 Hudy beer that was on the floor by the early evening.
    These are all excellent points. One thing to also consider is that you can make a big school smaller (In terms of opportunities to connect with people of similar interests), but you can't make a small school bigger. My thought on the tuition issue is based on the small schools not necessarily having the programs that a larger school might have such as engineering, etc. For my kid, the best engineering programs were at the bigger schools, so it came down to fit and finances. When two good fits made offers and one was free, the decision was made. She could have gone to a name engineering school like Purdue, but it would have cost much more. So, easy decision. In the end, where the degree came from matters in only a few occupations and situations
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Sophomore
    I was able to send 2 girls to Xavier from Connecticut and will all the scholarships, work study etc I don't feel I spent a ton more than UConn. I am very happy and both are working in Cincy with excellent careers (Occ Therapy and Nursing) living in Pendleton. I thought it was worth it and did all the extra paperwork and follow up needed. I sent them to all girls Catholic HS and X and my friends think I am nuts but are jealous of the results..One is getting married at Bellarmine Fall of 2020!. I could not be happier and who knows maybe we will move as I am pretty much done working (64 as an Info Tech mid manager is impossible to place) and actually substitute teach in Bridgeport (rough city) ever day and enjoy it. Consider X strongly and I hope you and everyone are as happy as I am. A bonus, as a Hoop Manaic (still play in competitive 60+) I lived and died with X (could not sleep after Wisc and FSU as well as Arizona )

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Eighths View Post
    My wife and I both graduated from Xavier and my dad did as well. Our oldest is now a senior in high school and he has applied to several schools, with Xavier being one of them. He has been accepted into Xavier for the fall of 2020 (Class of 2024), which makes us happy and proud. Having said all that, the cost will be roughly 20 times that of the state school he also go accepted to this month.

We all love Xavier and Xavier basketball but does it make sense for him to take on debt to attend Xavier since it is 20 times the cost?
    The best advice I think I can give you is to try and go on an overnight visit at the schools he is seriously considering. If you want to know what it's like to be a student at a specific school, the best people you can talk to are those who are currently students at that specific school. It also cuts through some of the Open House B.S. They will always want to make a place look as great as they can, but if you're around the students and in the dorms you can see and hear more of what it's really like to be there.

As far as the cost, there really isn't a right or wrong answer. If it's within his means to go to the place that he really wants to go to the most, then I'd say go for it. Like anything else, if you think it's worth it to you, then it's worth it. Don't let anyone tell you differently. If you don't think it's worth it, then it's not worth it. Don't let anyone tell you differently. But, that's only my own point of view, and that's not the one that really matters.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    FWIW, I went to Cincy Tech College for 2 years, rec'd an associates degree, transferred to XU and earned my BSBA in another two years - saved quite a bit of money taking that route.
    We had some friends who’s son was accepted at Duke. These folks made a killing in the Tech world somehow, to the point that they spend their time running their own Foundation now a/k/a they are so wealthy they spend their days giving their money away.

The son elected to go to a community college for two years! His thinking was, I can still graduate from Duke while saving enough to put a huge down payment on a house after I graduate. He was more concerned with where he got his final/graduate degree from as he felt the most recent degree gets the most emphasis when entering the job market.

Our son went to FSU for 5 years virtually free. He got 2 undergrad degrees and a Masters, but thanks to the Florida pre-paid tuition bought when he was in diapers and his good grades it was mostly covered. He’s recently started an MBA program at Emory that will run him about $80k. OUCH! That shocked me! We let him take out the student loans so he knows how it feels, but he’s getting engaged next month and will be starting a family at some point. We plan to let him feel the pain for a while, but then step up and take care of it for him since he’s been almost free so far.

Patience patience ... you do not know what the net cost for Xavier will be given scholarships etc. Then, listen to the YouTube of Father Graham's remarks welcoming this year's class and use that to help decide. No question, the school has to be and feel right to your child ... but if your child can take advantage of all Xavier making you the best you can be .... the dollars will take care of themselves.

With that said, my two sons ... one to Univ of Chicago (what a research-undergrad experience) and one to Columbia College-Chicago (art school - he's doing awesome in film making, his own equipment rental company) were better fits than Xavier. We have no regrets to sending them both to private schools, but they were driven to take advantage of the opportunities. From a financial perspective, 2 years at a community college and then enrolling makes a lot of financial sense and that could be a best option. You know your children best.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I don't doubt you, but out of curiosity what schools have tuition of $1000 ? My kids went to X with substantial scholarships and grants 20+ years ago, but if it was today, they'd be headed somewhere else due to cost. BTW, tuition at X was over $1000 in 1969, 50 years ago.
    The tuition at one of the state schools he is considering starts at a little less than $10K per year. With his GPA and ACT, the tuition then drops to around $1200 per year. Xavier is doing roughly the same thing, offering him $22,000 off tuition per year based on his GPA and ACT but XU starts are just a tad over $41K.

I'm confident he will do fine socially at any school (big or small). He does not know what he wants to major in at 17 and that is okay but I don't want him to get loans for a bachelor's degree. If he needs to go into debt for a masters or a doctorate, that is worth it to me.

Our hope is that more scholarship or grant money will be given to him if he picks Xavier as his final choice. Our FASFA score was pretty high but we have 6 kids at Catholic schools that FASFA does not consider.