Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kansas v Missouri is Back

I figured that some day they would play each other again. I just didn't think it would be now.

Two years ago, they did play in an exhibition charity game in Kansas City that sold out in about 40 minutes, and also sold two or three times as many video streams at $40 a pop. For a game that meant nothing. That was sort of an indicator of what a cash cow the series could be if they were to play a real game, on television, with corporate sponsorship behind it. I still didn't think Kansas would want to do it.

But, Bill Self and Cuanzo Martin are friends, and everyone that Bill Self was mad at at Mizzou is gone now, and Kansas has a new AD, and it was obvious that it was a huge cash cow. So...it's back!

Six games. Two in KC, two in Lawrence, two in Columbia.

It won't be the same. Very few of the former conference rivalries are even when they're brought back. But, it will still be way better than most OOC games. That is if Mizzou can get to a point to where they don't suck giant ox balls.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post

Two years ago, they did play in an exhibition charity game in Kansas City that sold out in about 40 minutes, and also sold two or three times as many video streams at $40 a pop. For a game that meant nothing. That was sort of an indicator of what a cash cow the series could be if they were to play a real game, on television, with corporate sponsorship behind it. I still didn't think Kansas would want to do it.
    If you were a Mizzou fan, the stream was worth the price. Sure, KU won the game, but it was the ONLY time a healthy Michael Porter, Jr. appeared in a Missouri jersey. And from what I understand, he did not disappoint.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I figured that some day they would play each other again. I just didn't think it would be now.

But, Bill Self and Cuanzo Martin are friends, and everyone that Bill Self was mad at at Mizzou is gone now, and Kansas has a new AD, and it was obvious that it was a huge cash cow. So...it's back!

Six games. Two in KC, two in Lawrence, two in Columbia.

It won't be the same. Very few of the former conference rivalries are even when they're brought back. But, it will still be way better than most OOC games. That is if Mizzou can get to a point to where they don't suck giant ox balls.
    I am so excited for this. MIZ-FkU

I find it funny that they are trying to rebrand it as the border showdown. I am sure that will go over about as well as the "Crosstown Classic"
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Texas v Texas A&M needs to resume. What's ridiculous about that is that (at least in basketball) literally everyone, including the coaches, wants that series back. It's the university administrations on both sides that keep it from happening.

I think that's the last really big rivalry that remains dormant.
    Last edited by xubrew; 10-22-2019 at 09:02 AM.

Would anyone care about A&M/Texas basketball? Obviously football needs to resume.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Would anyone care about A&M/Texas basketball? Obviously football needs to resume.
    I doubt the basketball series would be anything like football, but it got a a buzz when they met in the Battle 4 Atlantis a few years back. They'd certainly care more about it than most other OOC basketball games, if not all other OOC basketball games, and it would probably sell out no matter where in the state it was being played. They played a charity game in Houston two years ago (the same year that Kansas and Mizzou played) and it sold out rather quickly. It also apparently ended in a fight. All in the name of charity!!

It's crazy when you hear both schools complaining about sparse attendance prior to conference play. Hmmm....how could they fix that??

In the years where they were both tournament caliber teams prior to TAMU going to the SEC, it was pretty heated.
    Last edited by xubrew; 10-22-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Many schools could benefit from these arrangements. I remember a few years back many state Legislatures were toying with requiring certain schools to play each other. Frankly that's a little overkill, but with the costs rising, I wish these sorts of games would be revisited.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Many schools could benefit from these arrangements. I remember a few years back many state Legislatures were toying with requiring certain schools to play each other. Frankly that's a little overkill, but with the costs rising, I wish these sorts of games would be revisited.
    Agreed. It is stupefying to watch schools wring their hands about attendance at OOC games, yet continue to schedule nine home buy games against teams no one really cares about, and charge what they do for tickets. Geez, why is it that no one comes??

More conference games is perhaps a solution, but it's not the best solution. The best solution is better OOC games. Even if that means playing fewer of them at home. It's utterly stupid for Texas and Texas A&M to not play. They should play in football. It would rock the state. But to not play in basketball is utterly dumb. It would get people interested in a basketball game at a time of year where very few people in the state give a damn about basketball. It would be a great series for both schools. Yet...they don't play.
    Last edited by xubrew; 10-22-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    UK refused to play UL until the legislature passed a law ordering them to play each other.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    UK refused to play UL until the legislature passed a law ordering them to play each other.
    That rivalry has a fun history, especially during that period of time when they didn't play each other. It's still one of the more bitter rivalries in college basketball, but I think the more time that goes by and the more they continue to play each other, the less venomous it gets.

I knew the state legislature tried to pass a law at one time. I didn't think they were actually able to do it. I thought that after they finally ended up playing in the NCAA Tournament that Kentucky just finally relented. I always attributed it to them finally realizing how silly it was, and that they weren't able to keep Louisville from becoming a national power program by not playing them, so...why not?? But, you could be right about the lawmakers mandating it. I know that they at least attempted it.