NBA: Addressing Growing Fan Behavior Issue

Link

About a dozen NBA players gathered for a teleconference with officials in the league office this summer, making their case about what they believe is one of the biggest problems in the game.Fan behavior, they said, is getting worse.The numbers show they’re right, and if that isn’t troubling enough race only adds to the complexity of the issue: Most NBA players are black, and it seems like most of those in the closest seats are white. Not every incident is racially motivated, though some clearly are.After high-profile incidents involving Russell Westbrook, DeMarcus Cousins, Kyle Lowry and others last season - including ones involving racist taunts - zero tolerance for abusive or hateful behavior is now to become the NBA’s policy going forward. The league is changing and toughening its code of conduct for fans, especially putting those in closest proximity to the players and the court on alert that anything over the line will lead to ejections and possibly more.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Shocking bad fans still exists and getting worse...not really. Unfortunately, I’ve noticed this trend at all venues. When I was at the DePaul game last year, some guy decided to scream at Q the whole game. About 3 weeks ago, a parishioner got jumped and the crap beat out of him (ending up at the hospital) by an opposing parent while leaving an 8th grade “C” volleyball game.

However, this article was confusing because they started off talking about bad fan behavior and then spent the next 85% of the article talking about racism. Don’t get me wrong, any form of racism should be condemned and not tolerated, but the article barely touches on the other 98% (IMO) of bad fan behavior. I would contend having so many African Americans in sports today has really helped our race relations overall.

Don't tell European soccer fans about this.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

This initiative is probably just cover to club and kick out anyone wearing a Free Hong Kong shirt or holding a sign supporting Hong Kong protesters.

I've been to very few NBA games, but at the ones I've been to the only issue with fan behavior is lameness. Even a conference finals playoff game didn't seem like anything more than a regular midseason college basketball game.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White