Page 7 of 94 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Agreed. Seems really dumb
    Honestly, what does Memphis have to lose? They don't get the #1 player/#1 recruiting class too often. This whole operation is likely to go downhill anyway. May as well make hay while the making is good.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Honestly, what does Memphis have to lose? They don't get the #1 player/#1 recruiting class too often. This whole operation is likely to go downhill anyway. May as well make hay while the making is good.
    They could have the season vacated, lose their postseason and maybe get some future penalties. why not just hold him out a few games until you find out what the deal is? not like you need him right now.

on the other hand they could get away with it completely, like everyone seems to these days and make me look like an idiot.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I don't know how this is going to play out, but I think Memphis is shooting themselves in the face. Not the foot. The FACE!

If a school has a player that is ruled ineligible for a stupid or unfair reason, I would totally respect them if they decided to make a statement and made the decision to let that player play anyway and just accept whatever consequences come of it. If that's what Memphis is doing, then okay (I guess). But if they actually think they're going to get away with this, I believe they are very seriously mistaken. When a school plays an ineligible player on accident it can be a big mess. When they do it on purpose, especially after they've been advised that a player is likely ineligible, that's facing down a loaded shotgun. If they know that and did it anyway, then I can actually respect them wanting to take a stand. If they did it thinking that the NCAA couldn't or wouldn't do anything to them, then OH BOY are they about to go for a ride!!
    Why should they care? F the ncaa. They pick and choose who gets in trouble, and if you fall on the sword, you get effed worse than if you just give the ncaa the middle finger.

I mean what's going to.happen to memphis? They will have to forfeit some wins or possibly take down a final four or championship banner? Who gives a crap...still doesnt mean it didnt happen. Louisville is really suffering with their current top 5 ranking and winning a championship in 2013.

Not that I want Xavier to do it, but cheaters win in this sport and dont really ever get punished which is why people continue to cheat. Unc makes fake classes, duke gives zion and his family bags of cash...nothing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I would imagine they'd get slapped with lack of institutional control. Doing something you're not supposed to do and getting caught is bad, but I think being told not to do something and just brazenly doing it anyway is worse, so you may see some show causes as well. You're potentially risking your career. Now, again, if it means that much to them that they're willing to take that kind of a risk, then I can respect that. And, it's not like Penny Hardaway won't have other options and won't still be a millionaire (although I'm not so sure about Veatch). If they did this thinking that no shit would fall on them, then they may be in for a shock.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I think if they punt to the NCAA they are never going to have another recruiting class like this. And even if they eventually lose and get the institutional control thrown at them, the NCAA can't REALLY take this season away from them. They're going to play the games, and if they win a championship they're going to celebrate their championship no matter what the NCAA says or does. I suppose the NCAA could keep them out of the Tournament, but that seems unlikely to happen mid-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Why should they care? F the ncaa. They pick and choose who gets in trouble, and if you fall on the sword, you get effed worse than if you just give the ncaa the middle finger.

I mean what's going to.happen to memphis? They will have to forfeit some wins or possibly take down a final four or championship banner? Who gives a crap...still doesnt mean it didnt happen. Louisville is really suffering with their current top 5 ranking and winning a championship in 2013.

Not that I want Xavier to do it, but cheaters win in this sport and dont really ever get punished which is why people continue to cheat. Unc makes fake classes, duke gives zion and his family bags of cash...nothing happens.
    I think Memphis is a lot more like UNLV than they are Louisville. They never exactly bounced back. But even if Memphis is able to bounce back, it's very unlikely that the individual key players ever will. Rick Pitino, Tom Jurich, and Andre McGee are basically done. It's highly unlikely that they'll ever coach or work in college athletics again. To me, that's not worth it; not so much because of what might happen to Memphis, but because of what would happen to them personally.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I think Memphis is a lot more like UNLV than they are Louisville.
    Disagree. There was no institutional support for basketball at UNLV. Memphis is basketball crazy

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Didn't Wiseman get cleared in May by the NCAA? That tells me one of two things:

1) The NCAA prematurely cleared him when they were still investigating his eligibility, or
    2) Someone blew the whistle on Memphis and waited until a time when they could potentially do the most damage to Memphis.

I'm not in the Wiseman-is-a-camp, but there's something that stinks to high heaven going on here.

Winthrop beat St. Marys which is significant ...

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Tonight:
    Towson lost
    UC won
    Jacksonville lost
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17