Page 1 of 94 1231151 ... LastLast

2019-2020 College Basketball Season Thread

Some say it begins on the first day of practice. Others say it begins when the first official game is played. I like to think of it as starting when the first open exhibition game is played.

That has happened.

Texas Tech played UTEP in a charity exhibition on Saturday, and lost. It didn't count and does not mean a damn thing, but it was the first open basketball game between two college teams since last year's NCAA Final between Texas Tech and Virginia.

So, it's college basketball season!!
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

We've got Hoops on TV this Friday! Well, totally meaningless hoops, but hoops nonetheless. The charity game between Villanova and USC will at least be interesting...

http://hoopshd.com/exhibition-game-schedule-2019-2020/

Louisville's young players haven't quite gelled yet. They had to sweat out Bellarmine in their exhibition last night. They won by 10, but Bellarmine was as close as 2 with less than three minutes to go.

As an aside, the two have played exhibition games in nine of the last ten years, or something like that. I don't know whether or not it will become a regular buy game now that Bellarmine is moving to div1.

Mack always struggles with Bellarmine.

Supporting Member
    CBS's Matt Norlander ranks non-con schedules for the top 7 leagues (plus 5 others). X checks in at T28 hardest out of 92.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...l-for-2019-20/

Should be interesting to see how UC plays against #18 OSU in their first game with a new coach. In their exhibition against Thomas More, the offense looked like a complete 180 from Cronin's, with lots of movement, backdoors, general uptempo. And the coach complained that his team wasn't moving fast enough yet for the system to work. Their big men are clearly not going to match up with OSU's bigs, but the reverse is UC did hit 50% from three in a system that seemed to get them open for the long ball often. It was Thomas More, but I thought the defense looked just as aggressive as UC has looked for several years. They are dealing with a lot of injuries, but UC could be pretty decent this year with the two Cumberlands, and the new point guard McNeal.

Three games have tipped off!!

As is the annual tradition, the early tipoffs are typically out of hand prior to the under 8 media timeout.

The Tulsa/Houston Baptist game is competitive for now. So you've got that going for you.

Haven't really digged deep into research this season, but anybody else feel a little "underwhelmed" with the top 5?? Like, it doesn't seem to have a clear runaway team that I think will destroy everyone's soul. I like Michigan State with Cassius and Tillman, but I feel like this year may be pretty open just like the last couple years have been.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Haven't really digged deep into research this season, but anybody else feel a little "underwhelmed" with the top 5?? Like, it doesn't seem to have a clear runaway team that I think will destroy everyone's soul. I like Michigan State with Cassius and Tillman, but I feel like this year may be pretty open just like the last couple years have been.
    People can do all the research they want. Until the teams actually start playing, everyone is just guessing. There may be a runaway team and we just don't know it yet. Texas Tech started off outside the Top 25 for the last two years.