Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charleston

Charleston

I have never been to Charleston. I have always wanted to go, and I am excited about seeing the city for the first time.

I need some tips. I don't know where to stay, where to go or what to do. I also need to know the best places to get a decent priced meal, including the best pizza in Charleston.

One of my best friends is a Florida fan. When they announced the field we agreed we had to take this road trip together the week before Thanksgiving. I will be traveling with the enemy. Florida looks to have a tough team. We are both hoping we can meet in the Final.

Any tips for places to stay on the way down are welcome too. We will be driving down on the Wednesday before the Thursday games.

I think the key to getting past the wife committee on this one was telling her when they announced the field that I was taking a road trip to watch the Muskies play in November. We already have our tickets. By the time she realizes I am actually going she can't say anything because I will be like, "I told you about last year" or some such thing...

Give me your lists of places to see and things to do, and where I can get so libations and grab a bite to eat.

I can't wait to root on our Muskies.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Been several times and is a fantastic city to visit. The parallel streets of King and Meeting the ones with all of the restaurants and places to go. Along with Market and Broad, which go East-West. The Charleston Crab House has fantastic seafood. Right around the corner from that is Tommy Cordon’s Irish Pub. Great place to drink and good food. Top notch music too. Hymans Seafood, on Meeting St., is a very famous place with great food, but can be hard to get into. Can’t help you with Pizza there, sorry. There are literally hundreds of restaurants and bars all around historic section and I don’t think I’ve ever had a terrible meal at any place I’ve ever tried.

I used to go there monthly for work and I love the city. I’m afraid it’s been too long for me to give specific recommendations. You probably can’t go wrong in the historic district as far as food and drinks. I will say that the horse and buggy rides may look hokie, but it’s actually a nice way to see the city and you’ll learn a lot along the way.

Charleston

Vacationed at Wild Dunes once with family. Great place to stay. Great city. Best food I had (didn’t eat out a ton) was 82 Queen.

https://www.82queen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Vacationed at Wild Dunes once with family. Great place to stay. Great city. Best food I had (didn’t eat out a ton) was 82 Queen.

https://www.82queen.com
    I’ll mention that to my wife. She travels a LOT these days. She’s on the west coast this week, but flies back arriving at 5:43am Friday only to fly out to Charleston at 1:00pm for a sorority girl’s weekend planned long ago. She comes back Sunday, only to turn around and leave for NYC Monday morning. The upside? I get to sleep without the CPAP a lot! I may wake the neighbors with my snoring, but I DON’T CARE!

Poogans porch if you like Cajun style food.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Sophomore
    My wife and I were married in Charleston and Have been there many many times. 82 Queen is my favorite. Try the shrimp and crawfish jambalaya. Poogans is also good as is Low Country Bistro. Hanks is well known and generally good but very pricy. There are many great places to eat there. It is a great city with a lot of history.

Not looking for anything pricey, and I am not a seafood guy. Lets just stick with the best bars that I should have a cocktail at.

I would be up for a Horse and Buggy normally, but I am on a road trip with a buddy, and not sure that would be the right vibe. We are coming for sports, booze and grub. I love old buildings a lot, and on the Saturday off I plan to see the most historic parts, so you can tell me what buildings I should not miss.

Also I love rooftop bars or places I can have a cocktail at with a nice view.

Does Five Guys have a Charleston location with a rooftop eating area though???
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12