Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Charleston

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    Also I love rooftop bars or places I can have a cocktail at with a nice view.
    You don't want much do you? Sounds like you actually want a concierge or a travel agent to set you up on your trip....am I right?

I think you have to pay people to do that for you Snipe! Want it for free? Try google, yelp, or a combination of both.

Always looking for a handout....
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Not looking for anything pricey, and I am not a seafood guy. Lets just stick with the best bars that I should have a cocktail at.

I would be up for a Horse and Buggy normally, but I am on a road trip with a buddy, and not sure that would be the right vibe. We are coming for sports, booze and grub. I love old buildings a lot, and on the Saturday off I plan to see the most historic parts, so you can tell me what buildings I should not miss.
    You don’t have to call it a “date” if you don’t want, and we won’t ask if you are holding hands under your quilt.

You’re in the right place if you like old buildings! It’s a very cool place. My wife is actually flying in there this weekend heading to one of the barrier islands for a girl’s weekend. I’m jealous!

Also I love rooftop bars or places I can have a cocktail at with a nice view.
    Vendue Inn

Sniper,
    Try to stay at the Courtyard on Calhoun, about a block from the arena, and only a few blocks walk to the center of activity on King/Meeting streets.
    There is a 5 Guys on King about 2 blocks away.
    Or stay closer in town at the Days Inn on Meeting. Can still walk to the arena. Those are lower price options.
    Or...go upscale the Charleston place.

You understand that Charleston is a seafood town??? But, they have a (vast) number of great places to eat. Steaks, etc.
    I would second the vote for Tommy Condon's for a good Irish bar. And the town has a lot of craft breweries.
    Vendue is great for a roof top bar (one of, if not, the first).
    Here are some others. (Note: many are not downtown, but across the bridge in the Mt Pleasant area)

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/char...-in-charleston

Can't really go wrong in Charleston.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

My wife and I went to Charleston for the first time this summer for a friend's wedding. We had a great time. I'm sure there is a way to do it cheap, but we certainly didn't. Not necessarily by design, but it just kind of happened that way. 82 Queen was probably our favorite restaurant that we ate at - fantastic brunch. As far as I can tell, basically all you do in Charleston is eat, drink, shop, repeat.

Tommy Condons was about the only place that I remember going that I might call cheap. If you are looking for a fairly no-frills pub to grab a drink it is definitely worth checking out (at least as far as I remember).
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Sniper,
    Try to stay at the Courtyard on Calhoun, about a block from the arena, and only a few blocks walk to the center of activity on King/Meeting streets.
    There is a 5 Guys on King about 2 blocks away.
    Or stay closer in town at the Days Inn on Meeting. Can still walk to the arena. Those are lower price options.
    Or...go upscale the Charleston place.

You understand that Charleston is a seafood town??? But, they have a (vast) number of great places to eat. Steaks, etc.
    I would second the vote for Tommy Condon's for a good Irish bar. And the town has a lot of craft breweries.
    Vendue is great for a roof top bar (one of, if not, the first).
    Here are some others. (Note: many are not downtown, but across the bridge in the Mt Pleasant area)

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/char...-in-charleston

Can't really go wrong in Charleston.
    I think I will his Vendue and one other on that list. It said that Vendue has a killer happy hour.

I need to know more about happy hours in Charleston. That is where I will be drinking before the game. Give me a good happy hour, and I will give you the United States of America!
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Also we might stay at that Days Inn. The hotels downtown are pricey and my buddy wants to stay in a nice place but with a decent rate. I say give me the run down dump if you can give me location.

It seems like if you go to Charleston you have to be in the thick of it, and then stumble home drunk. I don't want to stay miles away and drive in for games, I want to be there.

This is a long tournament. I have to leave on Wednesday and don't get back until Monday because they don't play at all on Saturday and the Championship game is 8:30 on Sunday Night. It is not your easy weekend roadtrip.

It has been a minute Paul, but we need to get together for cocktails.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Also we might stay at that Days Inn. The hotels downtown are pricey and my buddy wants to stay in a nice place but with a decent rate. I say give me the run down dump if you can give me location.

It seems like if you go to Charleston you have to be in the thick of it, and then stumble home drunk. I don't want to stay miles away and drive in for games, I want to be there.

This is a long tournament. I have to leave on Wednesday and don't get back until Monday because they don't play at all on Saturday and the Championship game is 8:30 on Sunday Night. It is not your easy weekend roadtrip.

It has been a minute Paul, but we need to get together for cocktails.
    Uber is your friend! For SO MANY reasons!

I just booked my flights this week. For those who are going where are you all staying? My son and I are at the Comfort Inn which is about a mile from TD Arena. It is about $150 per night which includes breakfast and parking.

Quote Originally Posted by xu 89 View Post
    I just booked my flights this week. For those who are going where are you all staying? My son and I are at the Comfort Inn which is about a mile from TD Arena. It is about $150 per night which includes breakfast and parking.
    Staying at the Hyatt Place which is about a 15 minute walk from the arena. Used a family/friends discount a few months back to get it for about $140 a night after fees and taxes. Looks like it's going for about $300 a night now, so I lucked out.