Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Coach has the players she has working hard. She needs more good players; 3 point scorers. The game of basketball needs all the 3point scorers you can recruit. And we need a lot of them. Stop by some day and take in a game.

Freshman
    In a nod to preseason polls being ridiculous, it's worth noting that X (8th) was selected to finish ahead of Marquette (9th) in the Big East preseason poll.

Freshman
    The Musketeers dropped another close one last night, falling 63-61 in OT at Butler (15-6, 7-3). Actually a really impressive performance by the team: A'Riana Gray and two other rotation players didn't dress, and after foul problems, the team had to finish the game with only four players on the court. They led 58-53 in OT before falling just short. Must have been a unique game to watch.

Xavier lost at home to a 4-19 Georgetown team today.
    What the hell is going on? 2 and 21??
    I’ve met and like Mel Moore but this is amazingly unacceptable.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member
    Give the coach a chance to recruit some players. She is a good fit.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    The previous coaching staff not only left the cupboard bare, they burned it down. Add injuries and you're looking at a mess that will take a few years to clean up.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    The previous coaching staff not only left the cupboard bare, they burned it down. Add injuries and you're looking at a mess that will take a few years to clean up.
    +1. Coach Moore definitely needs time. I remain unconvinced that the current AD cares enough about women's basketball to put the necessary resources into the program. I would be curious to see the program's budget compared to other Big East teams.

Bowling Green's Women's Program was quite successful when Greg Christopher was the AD. I'm not sure it's fair to say he doesn't care enough.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Bowling Green's Women's Program was quite successful when Greg Christopher was the AD. I'm not sure it's fair to say he doesn't care enough.
    While this is true, Greg Christopher didn't arrive at BG until 2006. Almost all of BG's women's basketball success came under Curt Miller, who'd arrived at BG in 2001 and was well into his rebuilding project before Christopher arrived. Miller then stayed until 2012, and Christopher left in 2013. IMO, BG's women's basketball success during that time has far more to do with Miller than anything Christopher did, although he should be given credit for keeping Miller in BG as long as he did. This would be like giving Christopher credit for hiring Mack instead of Bobinski.

Christopher hired Jennifer Roos to replace Curt Miller, and after a couple of successful seasons, she drove that program off a cliff. Sound familiar? I'm just skeptical that anyone who would let Brian Neal be in charge for six years is truly invested in the program. The mantra was always that the team was young. Well, that happens when half the roster leaves on an annual basis.

Of course, I truly hope I am wrong and this program now has the backing it needs to be respectable. I think Coach Moore needs at least three years to get things moving in the right direction. 2-21 should not be the norm.
    Last edited by HomerCecil; 02-10-2020 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerCecil View Post
    While this is true, Greg Christopher didn't arrive at BG until 2006. Almost all of BG's women's basketball success came under Curt Miller, who'd arrived at BG in 2001 and was well into his rebuilding project before Christopher arrived. Miller then stayed until 2012, and Christopher left in 2013. IMO, BG's women's basketball success during that time has far more to do with Miller than anything Christopher did, although he should be given credit for keeping Miller in BG as long as he did. This would be like giving Christopher credit for hiring Mack instead of Bobinski.

Christopher hired Jennifer Roos to replace Curt Miller, and after a couple of successful seasons, she drove that program off a cliff. Sound familiar? I'm just skeptical that anyone who would let Brian Neal be in charge for six years is truly invested in the program. The mantra was always that the team was young. Well, that happens when half the roster leaves on an annual basis.

Of course, I truly hope I am wrong and this program now has the backing it needs to be respectable. I think Coach Moore needs at least three years to get things moving in the right direction. 2-21 should not be the norm.
    Agree with those sentiments.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook