Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Yeet. I honestly do not see any other games on the schedule thinking "There's a win."

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    I honestly do not see any other games on the schedule thinking "There's a win."
    It's interesting you should say that. Taking a gander at Massey Ratings, Xavier is currently ranked #243. Utah, who Xavier managed to beat, is ranked #67. EKU, who Xavier did not manage to beat, is #214. According to Massey, Xavier will be an underdog in every game the rest of the season. As a matter of fact, Massey only gives Xavier a greater than 30% chance of winning in two remaining games: 12/20 vs. #123 Florida (31%) and 2/9 vs. #167 Georgetown (35%).

Hopefully the cavalry is on its way next season.

Was at both games this weekend. There was a lot of good in 3 quarters for both games. Heart breaker yesterday as Xavier was up, but then looked a bit tentative to me, and give EKU credit for dropping like 4 threes in a row in their comeback.

Looking at those Massey rankings, the so called no named teams have been generally strong - ranked in the 100s. No question yesterday should have been a win. The win vs Utah turns out to be a very good one. The schedule is about preparing for the Big East and that is yet to play out. Keep the faith.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    They tried the buy game approach under Neal and it failed miserably. Hopefully there will be a few bright spots the rest of the way.

Freshman
    I would like to preface any comments by saying Coach Moore seems like a great hire and most of my confusion/complaints are about the past, which is why the program is in the position it's in. It just does not seem like this program is given the attention or resources necessary to be competitive in the Big East (and, to be frank, the Big East is not as strong in women's basketball as it is in men's basketball). I would be curious to know what the travel, recruitment, and scheduling budgets are for this program compared to others in the league. I would guess we're near or at the bottom.

My guess is that Neal would have been let go a season earlier than he actually was... but there was another critical coaching change going on at the time that probably took the spot light off Neal for little while. Melanie will definitely turn the ship around, it's just gonna take a couple more years. She is very high energy and very positive which is a sharp contrast to what that program previous had.
    I have complete faith in coach Steele and Co.

Freshman
    Surely the AD could have handled two coaching searches at once, especially when the next men's coach was pretty obvious. But if you're correct, then that feeds into the idea of this program being a stepchild in the administration's mind. My guess is they didn't want to pay Neal's buyout, even if it would have been for one year.

I don't expect the womens' program to be as good as the men, but there's no excuse to not be able to construct a roster at Xavier that is capable of beating Eastern Kentucky 99 times out of 100. I'm not sure Moore is THE answer, but I'm confident that she will at least be able to recruit players good enough to beat the EKUs of the world.

Freshman
    Checking in on the Big East after the first two weeks of league play. Teams are listed below by RPI ranking, with overall and league records.

10 DePaul 13-2 overall, 3-0 Big East
    16 Creighton 11-4, 3-1
    36 Marquette 10-4, 1-2
    53 Villanova 8-6, 3-1
    67 St. John’s 10-5, 3-1
    75 Seton Hall 10-5, 3-1
    119 Providence 9-7, 0-4
    155 Butler 9-5, 1-2
    205 Georgetown 4-11, 1-3
    250 Xavier 1-13, 0-3

The women head to DC on Friday in what looks like one of their better chances to pick off a win. Coach Moore knew she had a rebuilding job on her hands, so I hope that the team is staying with her. I live in DC and might go check the game out on Friday. As far as I can tell, the program's longest losing streak is 14 games, back in the 2-26 season of 1985-86.

A win! The women win their first game since the season opener by blowing out Georgetown, 85-64.

https://twitter.com/XavierWBB/status...14242068287488