NY Post: St. John's Recruiting under Mike Anderson

Link

You won’t see Mike Anderson’s recruiting class atop any list of rankings. A ton of stars aren’t next to the four players’ names. Some have questioned a few of the commitments in terms of their ability to be impact players in the Big East.But they all follow a familiar pattern for the new St. John’s coach: hard-working, tough kids who genuinely wanted to attend the Queens school, committing right around the time they visited.“You want talented players, but I want guys who fit what we’re doing,” said Anderson, who wasn’t able to specifically discuss the players because they have yet to sign national letters of intent. “I want guys that are mentally tough, aggressive, instinctive players.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Sounds like they're going to continue to be terrible.

I bet he turns them around by the end of the season. Unless he's just lost the ability to get his voice heard, you can't teach defense like that and be a total losing squad. Being on top is a different thing, but I think this was a good hire for the school. I bet they'll be a tough matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Sounds like they're going to continue to be terrible.
    Yea, those quotes usually come from not so talented teams. "We don't care about 4 or 5 stars next to a kid's name. We just want kids who want to be here."

It's a nice way to deflect saying, "We don't have much talent on this team."

P.S. Did Anderson really say, "You can't put a ranking on a kid's heart?." Oh dear.
    Last edited by XU 87; 10-08-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Sophomore
    He’s a good, not fret coach. High floor, low ceiling if you will. It’s at least a step in the right direction for st Johns.

40 minutes of hell.....might be more like 25 minutes of hell and 15 minutes of what the hell are they doing?

His words, not mine.

Expect there to be struggles, but certainly would seem to be an upgrade.