Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    The McDonald's I was referring to is if a player(s) were offered compensation for appearing in a McDonald's promotion.

And price fixing is a consumer price. It's not fixing employee compensation, which happens all the time. And if you don't like it, you most certainly don't work there.

I hope the NCAA doubles down HARD. I could care less if one or two states schools become disqualified, lawsuits happen, contracts broken, etc. As long as schools don't have the situation develop where they are expected to pay more for those student athletes to be in the program than is already happening with facilities, academics, and free training for their friggin' chosen endeavor.

Again, if we re-situate a shoe contract to give athletes some more spending money, and it's going to the tennis team, bowling team, and every other team, I think that's up to the shoe company what they feel that programs' athletes are worth to them. In fact, maybe coaches not getting those contracts would be a better thing to ensure that dirty undertable payoffs aren't happening. If the apparel industry wants to be in bed with the NCAA to help out some college kids, so be it.

Wage fixing is illegal in the same way price fixing is. You are severely mistaken if you think otherwise.

You’ll probably get your wish. The NCAA will likely keep doubling down. That’s what they’ve been doing for the last several years and the fact that they keep getting creamed hasn’t stopped them. I think it’s stupid to keep doubling down because I don’t think they can win by doing that, but that’s probably what they’ll do. The first time they try and bar a school from the postseason, they’ll be sued, and they’ll probably lose. Again.
    Last edited by xubrew; 09-13-2019 at 09:39 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Wage fixing is illegal in the same way price fixing is. You are severely mistaken if you think otherwise.

You’ll probably get your wish. The NCAA will likely keep doubling down. That’s what they’ve been doing for the last several years and the fact that they keep getting creamed hasn’t stopped them. I think it’s stupid to keep doubling down because I don’t think they can win by doing that, but that’s probably what they’ll do. The first time they try and bar a school from the postseason, they’ll be sued, and they’ll probably lose. Again.
    What fairy tale land do you live in ? Fast food places, along with thousands of other businesses pay the same wage ALL THE TIME. As long as it's at least the minimum wage it's legal. Go buy a bag of chips at different stores. Lays are the same price at Meijer, Kroger, Bobs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    What fairy tale land do you live in ? Fast food places, along with thousands of other businesses pay the same wage ALL THE TIME. As long as it's at least the minimum wage it's legal. Go buy a bag of chips at different stores. Lays are the same price at Meijer, Kroger, Bobs, etc.
    If competing companies make agreements with one another on what the prices of their products will be and what the wages of their employees will be, THEN THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW!!!

I thought that was common knowledge. It's kind of like saying Christmas is in December. You could say it without having to cite it. I can understand now why people may not realize that the NCAA is walking on egg shells.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/wa...eements-66963/

https://www.justice.gov/atr/file/903511/download

I forgot about this because it was a little before my time, but in the 1990s the NCAA tried to make a rule that put a maximum dollar amount on how much head coaches could make. The coaches took it to court, and it was pretty much thrown out on that same day because it constituted price fixing, or wage fixing, or whatever you prefer to call it.

If something similar lands in court in regards to the players, there is no reason to think the ruling will be any different. And remember, courts have ruled that athletes are employees.

Like I said, I think we are very far past talking about the philosophical reasons as to whether or not athletes should be paid. The conversation now needs to be how can the NCAA keep from getting completely blown apart and basically being told that their amateurism rules are illegal.
    Last edited by xubrew; 09-14-2019 at 01:06 PM.

At this point I don’t think that you can consider the question about the student athlete being an employee as settled law. It’s likely that the question will go all the way to the Supreme Court before it is sett Ltd one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    At this point I don’t think that you can consider the question about the student athlete being an employee as settled law. It’s likely that the question will go all the way to the Supreme Court before it is sett Ltd one way or another.
    True. Now having said that, the NCAA needs to do a much better job of formulating a legal argument than what they’ve been doing, which is basically saying “No, they’re not employees.”

Well, no, they are not employees. It's an at-will relationship. No one is forcing the students to play. There are many professional opportunities in the real world if they'd rather do that.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Well, no, they are not employees. It's an at-will relationship. No one is forcing the students to play. There are many professional opportunities in the real world if they'd rather do that.
    Lawsuits galore once athletes get compensation. Title IX will be used greatly for every athlete to get same or more compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Virtually anyone who works without a contract is an at-will employee, and nearly everyone who is employed can seek out opportunities to work elsewhere.

If the NCAA just keeps telling themselves that student athletes are not employees and just ignores things like this, then I think they are in big trouble. The problem is that I think that’s exactly what the NCAA will do. .

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...-are-employees