Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Cahill instructing Muskies on NCAA foul rules.

Too bad Feinstein wasn't in the building.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    When hot, he was hot with Macura, Kanter, Trevon, Naji, Tyrique, Scruggs......

Edmond Summner, Jalen, Farr, .... not always good. But Elite 8 and multiple Sweet 16’s.
    I can only remember two bad recruiting classes with Mack- the year following Dez Wells being expelled (which I think caused issues with recruiting) and Mack's last year, where X seemed to finish second or third on a bunch of recruits.

Sophomore
    Kaisers class was just him and that wasn’t great. Mack’s biggest problem was that he lost tons of guys to transfer for whatever reason and lots of them due to disciplinary issues. One of the legit criticisms of him was that guys tended to run amok discipline wise

2023 Sweet 16

I’ve noticed that the optimism here has cooled somewhat since Madness, and for good reason. I have been raving about our prospects all off season, even to go as far as to say this could be our best team ever, but what the hell is going on? I KNOW that a fan event, a closed scrimmage and a exhibition game typically don’t mean squat, BUT in this case I think it does.

When has X had it’s top 6 players as JR’s and SR’s? Safe to say 5 of these guys are in their last season, so one would think they’d be laser focused and all business regardless of the situation. There is nothing so far that shows improvement in the 4 offense concerns from last year....shot selection, 3%, FT% and TO’s. These had to be MAJOR points of emphasis since March but where are the results? It’s almost like they’ve regressed.

I think we can count on Q, Ty and Naj giving us what’s expected...somewhere north of their production last year, but Scruggs is the key to everything IMO. Coach has got to get him there MENTALLY every game in order to shake off prior inconsistency. Based on what we’ve seen so far it’s still going to be an issue of concern. I don’t think Team 98 is Championship caliber w/o a ALL BE Paul Scruggs.

Well enough of the sure to be perceived negativity.....it’s all for real tonight. Here’s to making this shakey pre-season an afterthought. It’s SHOWTIME!!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 11-05-2019 at 03:24 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Yes, early indications are not as optimistic as off-season prognostications (in fairness, they rarely are). Which of these expectations will they confirm tonight?
    I'm guessing somewhere in between.

A season is a lifetime and life begins 7:00 pm.

See you at the game.
    Last edited by UCGRAD4X; 11-05-2019 at 05:27 AM. Reason: stupid computer
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Kaisers class was just him and that wasn’t great. Mack’s biggest problem was that he lost tons of guys to transfer for whatever reason and lots of them due to disciplinary issues. One of the legit criticisms of him was that guys tended to run amok discipline wise
    The majority of the kids that transferred out were essentially invited to leave because they weren't going to play. Guys like Brandon Randolph, Kamall Richards, Larry Austin, Makinde London, Jared Ridder, just to name a few.

Myles Davis is the one notable disciplinary issue that jumps out to me as being super disruptive, other than Xavier driving a bus over Dez Wells, before backing up over him to ensure a complete fatality.

People keep discussing last year's offense as if it was a disaster - the offense finished 56th on KenPom. The issue was the other side of the court. If the defense is as good as it was over the final stretch of last season, this team will be very formidable (barring some insane dip in the offensive efficiency). Will it be pretty? Definitely not.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    People keep discussing last year's offense as if it was a disaster - the offense finished 56th on KenPom. The issue was the other side of the court. If the defense is as good as it was over the final stretch of last season, this team will be very formidable (barring some insane dip in the offensive efficiency). Will it be pretty? Definitely not.
    Disaster is a bit heavy, I think we were spoiled for 4 years with Trevon and JP, who could make something out of nothing shooting wise, and it seemed a little selfish last season at times, with not much flow offensively. Obviously the tempo will pick up with some depth this year, that may cause some kinks as well, considering we'll have to adjust to quicker decision making, the offense wasn't abysmal, but it still just didn't feel sharp.

You are 100% correct though, defensively throughout the season we were torched, but that run at the end of the season was very promising, if we can keep that type of defensive intensity up throughout the season, we'll keep ourselves competitive. The biggest thing will getting the new guys up to speed, from Shannon's coverage on The Athletic, it definitely seems these guys have the right mindset for preparation, but we'll have to see if it's just saying the right thing or if they're taking it to heart moving forward.

Off topic:

Whatever happened to our return visit to Utah from the 2016-17 season?
    six foot four & a soph-O-more...