Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Yeah, and they're stacked with NFL talent all over that roster, but I still think LSU deserves the 1 slot. They didn't deserve to drop to second considering their schedule, and that beat down of Georgia was the real deal. I'm guessing it's gonna be LSU, Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma, not really much parity. Nor do I think we'll see parity, it's way different than college basketball where 1 or 2 guys can completely change a roster, and the blue bloods get the best talent, the BCS system was fun because you'd get a Boise State or someone that's not a traditional power matched up in a high profile bowl game, while now with the play-offs, it's much more difficult. Let's say they let Memphis in, in a one game scenario, lesser talent could prevail, but to have to win 2 games to win a Natty against much better talent, I just don't see it happening.
    This is part of the reason I wish they would go to 8...have the best group of five team get an automatic berth. Essentially the same 4 teams getting in every year is getting old quickly. Yeah alabama is out, but geesh

There isn't a single team 5-8 that hasn't already had a chance or multiple chances. If there was an 8 team playoff, OSU would've just thrown the BIG championship so that Wisconsin would get in. A Penn State would get in, and/or an Alabama would get in. In other words just more of the same. Looks to me like 4 teams is plenty to decide the champion.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    There isn't a single team 5-8 that hasn't already had a chance or multiple chances. If there was an 8 team playoff, OSU would've just thrown the BIG championship so that Wisconsin would get in. A Penn State would get in, and/or an Alabama would get in. In other words just more of the same. Looks to me like 4 teams is plenty to decide the champion.
    I hear ya but I am more saying for a group of five team to have an opportunity. The system that is currently set up does not allow them to have a chance. Not saying memphis would beat any of the four teams, but with the season they have had, I think they should at least get a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I think they should at least get a shot.

Out of curiosity I checked to see if Massey also had a football rankings composite, and he does..

https://www.masseyratings.com/ranks?s=cf

I hear ya but I am more saying for a group of five team to have an opportunity. The system that is currently set up does not allow them to have a chance. Not saying memphis would beat any of the four teams, but with the season they have had, I think they should at least get a shot.
    I'm completely with you on that, give an automatic bid to the P5 champions, the best G5 team, and then 2 at larges, I also agree that I don't think it would change anything in the grand scheme, and we'll still have blue bloods in the national championship, but at least it could draw up some interest. Memphis has been really solid for a couple years now, but in the current format it's basically impossible for G5 team to get one of the 4 spots.

To me that's the biggest issue. Not everyone has a path to it. So what if Memphis ended up not winning any of them? Instead of just assuming that they won'[t, let them play and get beat. Let them get PLAYED off instead of just LEFT off.

FBS football is the only sport in the world that doesn't give all the teams a path to the playoff. That includes all other levels of college football. Saying that expanding the playoffs makes the season less meaningful is ridiculous, because as it stands now the regular season means absolutely nothing to half of the teams. To me, that makes it more of an invitational than it does a true playoff that half the teams will seemingly never be invited to.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Eliah Drinkwitz to Mizzou. Appalachian State’s move up to FBS has really helped out several struggling P5 programs.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Supporting Member
    Thanks for playing Oklahoma.they were a step below these other three teams but as I said before, i believe lsu is the most dominant team in college football this year.

Going to be a good one between them and clemson. :)

Sophomore
    Thanks for playing Oklahoma.they were a step below these other three teams but as I said before, i believe lsu is the most dominant team in college football this year.

Going to be a good one between them and clemson. :)
    the idea that anyone in the big 12 or pac 12 was worthy of playoff bid was ridiculous. there were probably 4-5 sec and big ten teams better than OU this year that didn't get in