Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    UC getting the stop they needed to get a crack at winning and then getting an unsportsmanlike penalty to screw it up was just so UC.

Way under the radar, but a somewhat interesting story. Mount Union lost in the Round of 16 of the div3 playoffs. It was their first loss of the year, it was the first game they didn't win by more than three touchdowns, and the first time they'd lost any sort of a game (playoffs or regular season) prior to the semifinals since 2016.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    UC getting the stop they needed to get a crack at winning and then getting an unsportsmanlike penalty to screw it up was just so UC.
    Wonder if fickell is gone this year with all the jobs that are opening up? Not fantastic jobs by any means but better conferences and more money:

Ole miss
    Mizzou
    Arkansas
    FSU

Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are and will be more

I think you're better off at UC than any of those SEC dogs. FSU, obviously, you'd jump for.

The Iron Bowl doesn't seem to disappoint. This year was even more amazing than normal. It's best than Alabama fell out of the playoff picture, too, because they are just not that good without Tua. It's hard to believe Saban let his defense get this bad, too.

I'm kind of hoping Utah sneaks in to be the sacrificial lamb for Ohio State in the first semifinal. Would be nice to get some new blood in it. Oklahoma has no chance against Ohio State, so better to send a NEW team that has no chance as opposed to one already watch regularly get its ass kicked in the playoffs.

Supporting Member
    I think you're better off at UC than any of those SEC dogs. FSU, obviously, you'd jump for.

The Iron Bowl doesn't seem to disappoint. This year was even more amazing than normal. It's best than Alabama fell out of the playoff picture, too, because they are just not that good without Tua. It's hard to believe Saban let his defense get this bad, too.

I'm kind of hoping Utah sneaks in to be the sacrificial lamb for Ohio State in the first semifinal. Would be nice to get some new blood in it. Oklahoma has no chance against Ohio State, so better to send a NEW team that has no chance as opposed to one already watch regularly get its ass kicked in the playoffs.
    I'd be interested in your opinion as to why he would be better off?

Ole miss, Arkansas and Mizzou are all certainly down this year, but all three can offer way more money than uc, and all three have had success at different times in the conference.

I mean if I were a coach and got a chance to jump from the aaaaaaaaac to a power 5 conference and double my salary, to me it's a no brainer unless the wife (boss) says no.

Matt Luke, who was just fired from Ole Miss, only made $2.5 million. They can probably pay more than that, but it's a program that's on probation and that obviously isn't very patient if they're going to fire a guy after just two full time seasons who never got the chance to coach the team when they weren't on probation.

Depends on if you want the security of short-term guaranteed big money or better long-term prospects for your career. If you think you've got a good team coming back at UC, hang in another year, gaudy up your record a bit and wait for a better situation. Ole Miss, Arky and Mizzou aren't impossible spots, but among them they've fired quite a few coaches in recent years.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Matt Luke, who was just fired from Ole Miss, only made $2.5 million. They can probably pay more than that, but it's a program that's on probation and that obviously isn't very patient if they're going to fire a guy after just two full time seasons who never got the chance to coach the team when they weren't on probation.
    He was making over 3 million, and if he had success, would have been close to 4 in the end. He also had three years and was trending down every year. I do agree with the high expectations point though.
    Last edited by Xville; 12-02-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    He was making over 3 million, and if he had success, would have been close to 4 in the end. He also had three years and was trending down every year. I do agree with the high expectations point though.
    The article that I read about his being fired listed a figure of $2.5 million. That doesn't mean that it's correct, but that's where I got the figure from.

He was there for three years, but he was an interim coach that first year, and you can basically forget being able to sign anyone that's worth a crap when you're A) and interim coach, and B) on probation. I'm not saying Matt Luke is a great coach, but what I am saying is that he was never given a realistic chance to succeed. If I'm Fickell, that's my red flag. Do you want to go to a place that clearly didn't give the previous guy a realistic chance?

Depends on if you want the security of short-term guaranteed big money or better long-term prospects for your career. If you think you've got a good team coming back at UC, hang in another year, gaudy up your record a bit and wait for a better situation. Ole Miss, Arky and Mizzou aren't impossible spots, but among them they've fired quite a few coaches in recent years.
    Let no one forget that the Athletic Director who hired Fickell has moved on to USC. A new AD is coming in who may not be as in tune.
    This is one of those deals where it's better to jump a year early than wait and bet. We all know Fickell ain't staying long term and UC ain't getting into a better league so the chance of ever competing for a National 'Ship is non existent in Clifton.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell