Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 158
  1. #131
    Supporting Member xubrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,998
    Ole Miss's AD has been there for less than two weeks and has never been a Senior AD before. On his first day he said that he felt the football team was going in the right direction. Today, he fired the football coach.
    Last edited by xubrew; 12-02-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

  2. #132
    Supporting Member xubrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,998
    Chris Peterson is leaving Washington. He was fantastic at both Boise State and Washington and probably didn't get anywhere near the credit that his success deserved because when you're three hours behind the east coast a lot of people just never see you play. Kind of surprised he's leaving. Washington has already named the DC as his successor.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

  3. #133
    Supporting Member paulxu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    14,497
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I think you're better off at UC than any of those SEC dogs.
    Short Vine vs. The Grove. Want to re-think that?

    (Which reminds me: where is Glo? His name is not even listed in the Members List)
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

  4. #134
    Supporting Member GoMuskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    27,147
    I'd rather live in Honolulu than Columbus, OH, too. But I doubt Ryan Day is making that move.

  5. #135
    Sophomore scoscox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Short Vine vs. The Grove. Want to re-think that?

    (Which reminds me: where is Glo? His name is not even listed in the Members List)
    from a purely football standpoint, though, i agree with Go
    "The only time you take your hands off an opponent's throat is to get a better grip" - Byron Larkin

  6. #136
    Supporting Member xubrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,998
    Jacksonville has cut it's football program.

    I know no one really cares, but it's kind of a stupid thing to do. It's a non-scholarship program and it had over 100 players that were all paying tuition. Whatever it was costing, which probably wasn't much since those PFL teams essentially operate on a div3 model with a div3 budget, I guarantee you it wasn't as much as they were making off of their tuition dollars. And, yeah, it's not a high level of football, but it's still an opportunity for more players to play, more coaches to coach, and for a group of students who are probably far more academically minded than most players at the FBS level to come to your school that otherwise wouldn't have.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

  7. #137
    Supporting Member xudash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,617
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Jacksonville has cut it's football program.

    I know no one really cares, but it's kind of a stupid thing to do. It's a non-scholarship program and it had over 100 players that were all paying tuition. Whatever it was costing, which probably wasn't much since those PFL teams essentially operate on a div3 model with a div3 budget, I guarantee you it wasn't as much as they were making off of their tuition dollars. And, yeah, it's not a high level of football, but it's still an opportunity for more players to play, more coaches to coach, and for a group of students who are probably far more academically minded than most players at the FBS level to come to your school that otherwise wouldn't have.
    Somewhat big news down here today. They've been good at this level off and on for a number of years.

    I understand how you're making your argument, but they're doing it for the same reasons Xavier did it when it woke up to focus on its one, key strategic sport. The difference here is that it hasn't been 1979 for a long, long time. JU doesn't have much room to maneuver up at this point in basketball, and it's on campus hoops facility is a HS gym.
    X A V I E R

  8. #138
    Supporting Member xubrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,998
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Somewhat big news down here today. They've been good at this level off and on for a number of years.

    I understand how you're making your argument, but they're doing it for the same reasons Xavier did it when it woke up to focus on its one, key strategic sport. The difference here is that it hasn't been 1979 for a long, long time. JU doesn't have much room to maneuver up at this point in basketball, and it's on campus hoops facility is a HS gym.
    Well, if that was their reason, then I don't think it was going to work. I just looked it up. Their overall football budget in 2018 was $1.36 million. That's for everything. Salaries, recruiting, travel, meals, and operations. The amount of tuition dollars that they were bringing in had to be at least four times that. Jacksonville is a private school with just over 2000 total students. They were spending more on women's basketball than they were on football. So....what are they saving here??

    If a school spends $1.36 million on football, and they're able to cover all their expenses (which they could according to their own financial sheet), then there really isn't anything saved by cutting it, and therefore they can't really redirect it into basketball because nothing was saved by doing it.

    A few years ago, Eastern Illinois (I think) decided to cut the number of athletic scholarships as a means to cut athletic spending and save the school money. Don't be fooled by PhDs. They obviously don't make you any smarter. What none of them realized was that the vast majority of athletics spending, and ALL of the spending on athletic scholarships, is money that does not leave the university. Tuition goes to the university, board goes to dining services, housing goes to housing. A year after doing this, they couldn't figure out why so many of their own budgets where shorter by tens of thousands of dollars. It doesn't cost a school $10,000 to write itself a check for $10,000, nor does it save $10,000 by opting to not write itself a check for $10,000. That's ultimately what scholarships are. Checks that athletics writes to the school, which means it really doesn't cost anything because it's just money going from one part of the school to another. Six months after UAB cut football, they figured that out as well, plus how much they were actually losing by not having it.

    To eliminate a program that doesn't even offer scholarships is probably even more ridiculous since all those kids were paying tuition to go there and play there
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

  9. #139
    Supporting Member GoMuskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    27,147
    Athletic scholarships aren't free. They replace a paying student with a non-paying one. Of course, this is only true if there is enough demand from paying students to fill the spot.

  10. #140
    Supporting Member 94GRAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dana's
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Jacksonville has cut it's football program.

    I know no one really cares, but it's kind of a stupid thing to do. It's a non-scholarship program and it had over 100 players that were all paying tuition. Whatever it was costing, which probably wasn't much since those PFL teams essentially operate on a div3 model with a div3 budget, I guarantee you it wasn't as much as they were making off of their tuition dollars. And, yeah, it's not a high level of football, but it's still an opportunity for more players to play, more coaches to coach, and for a group of students who are probably far more academically minded than most players at the FBS level to come to your school that otherwise wouldn't have.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Athletic scholarships aren't free. They replace a paying student with a non-paying one. Of course, this is only true if there is enough demand from paying students to fill the spot.
    I believe Brew has that covered
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •