Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xufan02 View Post
    Odom is a top 50 talent. Paul and Naji were top 50 kids. Also fit has a lot to do with it. You look at Quinnerly at Nova, he was a 5 star top 25 player. It never worked out, was it fit or was he overrated?

Our 2019 class was a foundational class to inject talent into the program. 2020 is plugging needs and upgrading the roster. I think 2021 will have more limited spots, and will be swing for the fences.
    Recruiting doesn't need to improve drastically by any means and I think this is a good assessment. Look at Villanova's classes building up to their 2016 team and you'll see a lot of similarities to the first two classes under Travis. Lots of guys in the 50-150 range (Josh Hart 79, Kris Jenkins 76, Arcidiacono 57, Ochefu 49, Phil Booth 75, Mikal Bridges 81, Divincenzo 124, and Brunson 22 the only 5 star). Travis is recruiting in that range very well right now. (Dwon Odom 60, Wilcher 91, Tandy 89, etc.) If we can swing for the fences and get that top 30 kid in the 2021 or 2022 classes (someone like Paul McMillan IV maybe) we'll be cooking with grease.

Moreover, Virginia didn't have any five stars. Diakite was their highest rated recruit at 32, just two spots higher than Paul Scruggs. We're recruiting well within final four range and not too far away from national title contenders

BTW we just got evan daniels crystal ball of colby jones, so it looks like we'll be getting him instead of lane. b snow just changed his lane crystal ball from X to undecided. according to nate walroth, jones isn't going on anymore visits and will be deciding soon, so a commitment to us would make sense there. his commitment would move us up to the #2 class in the country behind Virginia

also, count me in the quinerly was just overrated camp. we'll see how he does at bama, but i'm not holding my breath
    Last edited by scoscox; 08-14-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Recruiting doesn’t have to improve but it does have to be more consistent. You can’t have the peaks and valleys we’ve seen from class to class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Recruiting doesn't need to improve drastically by any means and I think this is a good assessment. Look at Villanova's classes building up to their 2016 team and you'll see a lot of similarities to the first two classes under Travis. Lots of guys in the 50-150 range (Josh Hart 79, Kris Jenkins 76, Arcidiacono 57, Ochefu 49, Phil Booth 75, Mikal Bridges 81, Divincenzo 124, and Brunson 22 the only 5 star). Travis is recruiting in that range very well right now. (Dwon Odom 60, Wilcher 91, Tandy 89, etc.) If we can swing for the fences and get that top 30 kid in the 2021 or 2022 classes (someone like Paul McMillan IV maybe) we'll be cooking with grease.

Moreover, Virginia didn't have any five stars. Diakite was their highest rated recruit at 32, just two spots higher than Paul Scruggs. We're recruiting well within final four range and not too far away from national title contenders

BTW we just got evan daniels crystal ball of colby jones, so it looks like we'll be getting him instead of lane. b snow just changed his lane crystal ball from X to undecided. according to nate walroth, jones isn't going on anymore visits and will be deciding soon, so a commitment to us would make sense there. his commitment would move us up to the #2 class in the country behind Virginia

also, count me in the quinerly was just overrated camp. we'll see how he does at bama, but i'm not holding my breath
    Those are all good points. I guess the real answer is to recruit with consistency every single year AND avoid any more coaching turnover for the foreseeable future. Mack could get big names, but there were too many off years to reach the next step. Luckily, Steele so far looks much more likely to thrive where Mack struggled on the recruiting trail.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Recruiting doesn’t have to improve but it does have to be more consistent. You can’t have the peaks and valleys we’ve seen from class to class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I think we're seeing that under Travis. He's about to stack two top 25 (atleast) classes on top of each other and is in on some big names in the 2021 and 2022 classes already as well. dude is tireless on the trail and seemingly more dedicated to recruiting than Mack was. I think that will be a feature of the mack era we won't see under travis.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph85 View Post
    From what I read they really want Jones. He kind of blew up over the summer.
    There's some cryptic stuff flying around the Twitter machine about this... may hear something very soon and it sounds positive.
    I have complete faith in coach Steele and Co.

Please don't use initials for our players or coaches.
    I get Fayer Flashback when you do.

https://giphy.com/gifs/8y2mJ3sxp6TPa/html5
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Please don't use initials for our players or coaches.
    I get Fayer Flashback when you do.

https://giphy.com/gifs/8y2mJ3sxp6TPa/html5
    Ha! And losing to St. Bonaventure at home! That is a sinking program. Graphs, charts and wanting to pass Xavier - and embarrassing cheerleader moments. Onward VD.
    X A V I E R

I really like the direction the program is heading under Travis' leadership. And a cool bonus is his wife (and her family) is from Cincinnati and comes from a very wealthy family.

I think if the ideal 4 man class were to shake out for X it would either be:

Jones/Bridges or
    Clark or Lane/Carlson

If we land Jones, we already are bringing in two players in him and Odom who aren't great shooters. Would love to land Bridges who is a high level shooter(think more athletic Kaiser).

If we land Carlson, Clark or Lane are probably a better compliment player as they're both better shooters than Jones.

Odom, Jones, Wilcher, and Carlson would be an amazing class, but you'd only be bringing in only one good shooter out of 4 guards/wings. Wouldn't be a huge deal though with Tandy and Bishop.

looks like the 3rd man will be know shortly, Steele tweeted the power X...
    Coaches don't make Xavier, Xavier makes coaches.